9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 11:46 AM by mark_b

How to insert a file into an FMGo container?

mark_b

Hi All,

I want to have a script that inserts a file (included) into a container field on FMGo. Manually when I tap on the field, I get the option to import "Camera, Audio, Signature, Photos, Music, Files". When I choose files all I get are the other Filemaker databases. How can I insert a document created in Pages? Apparently there is no folder structure that is accessable to anything other than the running app. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
          taylorsharpe

The iOS sandboxes each application and you can only see files it has stored in its sandbox.  So you are correct that it won't see other files on the iOS outside of FileMaker Go's sandbox.  Yes, it is a pain, but it is part of the OS security to make sure one program can't infect another one somehow. 

• 2. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
            mark_b

Thanks for the bad news .  I have developed a Recipe application that theoretically was to run on an iPad. (iPads are safer in a kitchen than a desktop/laptop)  I have downloaded (through Dropbox) all Word recipes and have imported those into a Filemaker container.  When I click on the container, it displayes the full recipe. This works great on the iPad.  The only problem is that if the client wants to enter their own recipe on the iPad, they can go to Pages and type out their recipe.  But then how do they get that back into the Filemaker container?  I tried using iFile Browser and was able to get a Pages document to show up in the Filemaker Files folder by changing the file extension (cheating) and was able to insert it into the container.  But, of course, the file wouldn't open because Filemaker thought it was a database and now a Pages document.  There's got to be a way to do this, but I don't see how.

Regards, Mark

• 3. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
              taylorsharpe

I have a hard time seeing why importing documents made in other programs is the best way to create a recipe database.  After all, you won't be able to search on ingredients, etc.  Is there a reason why not to put the recipie in fields in the database?  Am I missing the point and maybe I don't understand.  I would be looking for an import that converts all of the recipie info into records and fields. 

• 4. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
                mark_b

Sorry, I didn't give a full explanation.  Yes, I have the ingredients in a searchable field.  The reason I don't have the instructions portion in a field is that quite often they can get quite large and seeing the full recipe is more helpful when getting things together.  However, it appears that separate fields is the only way to go.  I'll have to go back to the drawing board and figure an easy way to parse out the instructions from the ingredients. I guess I was hooked on the neatness of a container and viewing the original document.

Thanks,

Mark

• 5. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
                  bright_guy

I think today's release of FileMaker Go 13.0.3 might help.

FileMaker said, "FileMaker Go 13.0.3 expands file transfer capabilities to include moving files between iOS apps on the same device and transferring files between apps on other devices using AirDrop..."

=L=

• 6. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
                    rgordon

The update now allows a user to transfer files from another App like Pages into the FileMaker Go documents folder.

• 7. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
                      mark_b

Thanks!  This was what I was hoping would happen.  However, after updating Go to 13.0.3 and also updating Pages to 2.1, I still can't import a Pages document into a Filemaker Container.  The only option I get when tapping on the container is: Import: Camera, Audio, Signature, Photos, Music and Files.  When choosing Files all I get to choose from are Filemaker files.  I don't see an option to include any other type of file.  I must be missing something.

• 8. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
                        rgordon

You can only browse for files that are in the FileMaker Go documents folder.  FileMaker Go can not insert a file directly from Pages. You need to send the file from Pages to FileMaker Go. This is the feature that was added in 13.0v3.  You can do this by clicking on the Sharing Icon in Pages and selecting Open in Another App.   After do this, the file should then be available to insert into the container.

• 9. Re: How to insert a file into an FMGo container?
                          mark_b

Ah Ha!  Got it.  Thanks.