4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 7:19 AM by MikeZarin

Copying attachments from Mac Outlook to FileMaker container fields

MikeZarin

Hi all,

I have a client interested in copying selected attachments from Mac Outlook to FileMaker container fields. I see from a couple other threads (https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/115557 and https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/121939) that others have experienced the same difficulties with drag and drop that my client is seeing. I'm wondering if there's an Automator or Applescript technique that someone can provide that will, at minimum, copy a message's selected attachment to the clipboard. With e.g. an Applescript at least we could provide a keyboard combo my client could use to run the script, then go to FileMaker to paste the file in the desired location.

The best we can do right now is drag the attachment to the desktop then drag the resulting file into FileMaker. This would be fine for rare uses, but my client wants something with less "friction."

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Mike

• 1. Re: Copying attachments from Mac Outlook to FileMaker container fields
          mark_b

Hi Mike,

Sorry I can't give you a specific answer, because I work exclusively on Windows.  We did this using a Plugin with Microsoft Outlook on Windows.  You might check Mailit and see if that will help.

Cheers, Mark

• 2. Re: Copying attachments from Mac Outlook to FileMaker container fields
            MikeZarin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response.  Are you saying you've got a way to easily copy select attachments from Outlook to FileMaker using a plugin (Outlook Manipulator, I assume?)?  Or have you built a replacement email client in FileMaker so you no longer need Outlook?  Or something else?  There is an Outlook Manipulator plugin for Macs (and I've used the one for Windows), I just can't see how to build something as easy as drag-and-drop or copy/paste so my client can continue using Outlook as his main email client.  Please correct me if I'm wrong! 

Best,

Mike

• 3. Re: Copying attachments from Mac Outlook to FileMaker container fields
              mark_b

Hi Mike,

You would have to run a script to do this.  I don't think you can do this with drag-and-drop.  Here's the description of Outlook Manipulator's attachment functions:

PCEM_GetAttachmentName( Index )

Description:

Gets the name of the specified attachment to the currently opened Outlook Item.

Parameters:

Index = The index of the attachment

Return Values:

The name of the attachment or !!ERROR!!

PCEM_SaveAttachment( FilePath ; Index )

Description:

Saves the specified attachment to a specified location.

Parameters:

FilePath = The full path that you would like to save the attachment to. For example: U:\SomeFolder

Index = The index of the items attachment.

Return Values:

0 for success or !!ERROR!!

Other Plugins such as MailIt also have the abilities to grab attachments and store them to disk.  But as far as I know, they all must run from scripts.

Good Luck,

Mark

• 4. Re: Copying attachments from Mac Outlook to FileMaker container fields
                MikeZarin

I see, so an approach might be: user has email open in Outlook, goes to FileMaker, then triggers a FileMaker script to save an attachment somewhere then insert the saved file into a container.  Possible, but I wish it were easier!  Also for messages that have multiple attachments I don't see a way to identify which one is the selected one so it can be addressed by the "Index" parameter in the SaveAttachment function.  The best I can come up with would be to grab the number of attachments using the PCEM_GetAttachmentCount function, grab a list of attachments by looping through them with the PCEM_GetAttachmentName( Index ) function, then present the list to the user to select in FileMaker, and finally use the scripted save/insert trick mentioned above.  I'm thinking the required user intervention for that approach isn't much easier than what my client is currently doing, unfortunately.  Please let me know if I'm missing something, though!

Does anyone know of an Applescript way to just, say, copy the active attachment to the clipboard?

Thanks!

Mike