1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 6:30 AM by davidsan

Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"

mechai

Hi,

I have a brand new Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM and installed FileMaker 13.0.1.224 and Maverick 10.9.2 (all latest as of March 2014)

I have around 28 databases totaling 160GB in size.

The issue here is when I start the fmserverd, after 1 or 2 days, it will become "Not Responding" with a rapidly increasing "Recent hangs" count at the Activity Monitor.

The strange part is that my CWP (XML) and also outside FM client can all connect and do normal work while the Activity Monitor is reporting it as "Not Responding". That is very perplexing.

Also the Admin Console which is using HTML5 will split out the "Failed to load the widgetset: ./VAADIN/widgetsets/com.filemaker.admin.widgetset.AdminConsoleWidgetset/com.filemaker.admin.widgetset.AdminConsoleWidgetset.nocache.js?xxxxx" dialog box.

Anyone encounter such an issue also

• 1. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
          taylorsharpe

Are you using Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server?  FileMaker does tend to prefer the server version and it only costs like $20-30.  Are there any other service running on the computer such as mail, web, DNS, Open Directory, FTP, file sharing, etc.?  Is it also being used as an application machine or server only?  I personally would reinstall the server if it is acting strange. 

FileMaker takes over web services from the Mac OS and it does not play well with the OS or share web pages with the OS.  So when you install FileMaker Server, don't try to do anything with the OS's web services or you can mess up FileMaker's web services.  Things seem a little more stable on the Windows server side of things. 

I have not seen your Admin Console warning, but if the admin console doesn't come up, the first thing I do is uninstall and then reinstall FileMaker Server.  I've had to do this on a number of Mac servers.  They don't seem as rock hard stable as FileMaker 12 servers were. 

• 2. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
            mechai

Hi Taylor,

I am using Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), not the server one. I read the documentation and it mention plain Mavericks is fine

This Mac Pro we bought specifically for FileMaker server hosting, so nope, we don't do any services except for Remote Desktop and SSH services. Don't think that will impact anything. No DNS, no FTP, no file sharing btw.

Also no web service because I know FM server need the port 80 as well as have their own Apache, so this Mac Pro do not host web or application service also. But we do have CWP via XML, which is normal I think.

Having know that you need to re-install it on a number of Mac servers really bothers me haha.. I have restared everything again and trying to monitor it. If the "Not Responding" still happen, I think I may need to allocate time to resintall everything already

Tks very much for your insight.

• 3. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
              wimdecorte

I would not worry too much about FMS being reported as not responding in the Activity Monitor as long as it keeps doing its job and you can control it through the admin console.

As to the admin console: can you try with another browser (Firefox, Chrome,...) and see if you get the same error?

• 4. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                mechai

Hmms windecorte, I guess I would be worry if activity monitor is incrementing the "Recent hang" count for fmserverd

I did try it on newly installed Chrome, but to no help. I come to realise that to fix admin console not able to communicate or having Proxy Error is all because suddenly it can't connect to VAADIN backend. So someone sugges me to restart it using:

fmadmin restart adminserver -y

Through this, my admin console is alive and then I can go into and in turn restart my database server to let the "Not responding" goes away without a hard rebooting of machine so cut down the downtime.

But after a period of time, the Not Responding and the failed to load widgetsets will again appear after a few days or week (if we are lucky)

• 5. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                  wimdecorte

Clearly something is off.  Shut down FMS all the way with "sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms" after closing all files through the admin console and quitting out of the admin console.

With FMS shut down, do a full permissions repair and check the drive for issues.

Then reboot and see if the issues continue.  Report back so we can check further.

• 6. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                    jimahopkins

I have the same thing happening to me, but . . . my admin console does not open or run.  How do you shut down the databases to apply the terminal command above?    Will that enable me to get into the console?  Will I need to restart?

• 7. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                      wimdecorte

To close the files:

fmsadmin close

To shut down the database engine

fmsadmin stop server

Then to completely shut down the other FMS processes

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms

• 8. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                        davidsan

I am experiencing the same issue on FileMaker 12, versión 12.0v6 on Mavericks 10.9.4.

I have tried all the sugestions in this thread and the server still shows the same issue.

If I leave it unattended, after a while, lets say 2 weeks the database server becomes totally unresponsive.

This server, previously was running versión 12.0v5 on Mountain Lion and had no issues at all. I decided to upgrade it to Mavericks 10.9.4 and FM Server 12.0v6, and this seems to be the worst mistake I have ever made.

Does anyone knows what could be going on? Any clue would be really appreciated it.

• 9. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                          taylorsharpe

David:  Unresponsive database could be a memory leak.  Have you checked memory and see if it is continually growing and paging out?  If so, it could be a plugin too.  Do you have any plugins?  Are you allowing your drives to spin down?  If it is a server, make sure all power saving features are turned off.  Make sure your network can't go to sleep either.  Those are a few things to check on.  Also, is there any reason you don't want to upgrade to 13?

• 10. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                            davidsan

Hi Taylor! Thank you for your answer.

I am not seeing any memory leaks. The memory stays the same. I am not using any plugin either.

I allowed the drives to spin down, but the configuration has always been the same. I will try with this settings that you suggest.

My network does not go to sleep either.

About FileMaker 13, my client does not want to upgrade. It is not an easy decision to make when you need to upgrade half of the workstations because of the new requirements. It doesn't help either that, according to this thread, FM Server 13 seems to be having the same issues than FM Server 12.

FileMaker 12 is still supported under Mavericks and my client has non-expiring licenses, not leasing. FileMaker recently changed the upgrade policy but at the time he purchased his licenses there was a whole different situation.

And finallly, we did the upgrade from FM 11 to FM 12 and he didn't see any major benefit.

• 11. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                              BruceHerbach

Should set the computer power saving to never sleep and never shut the

disks down. I doubt that this is your problem,  but is good practice for

FMS.

Bruce

Sent from my mobile device... Please excuse typos.

• 12. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                                davidsan

Thank you Bruce. I am at this moment changing the configuration.

However, I believe this is not the issue. It is very strange.

The server works fine for almost a day after a reboot, if I check the using Apple Remote Desktop it is fine. After that period the first time I login and check, it starts the "not responding" issue. It seems more related to Mavericks than to FM. If leave it unattended, it is almost a sure thing the server will hang in two weeks.

• 13. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                                  davidsan

I think this issue is beyond our control. It seems related to Mavericks,10.9.4 at least, and to Activity Monitor.

I created a second account on the server and even though, Activity Monitor shows fmserverd is not responding in the first account, in the second account the red labeled error is not present.

It seems the issue is something that has changed in Activity Monitor in Mavericks. It seems our only hope is wait until Apple fixes the issue or go back to Mountain Lion.

• 14. Re: Brand new Mac Pro install of FM Server 13 always "Not Responding"
                                    mechai

The situation here is that if even if shown "Not Responding", everything seems to work fine and fmserverd is not in fact crashing. That's the weird part.

I typically remote into my server using Remote Desktop. I have found that when I remote in and don't move the mouse dractically the Activity Monitor will not throw my fmserverd into a "Not Responding" red label. But once I do massive mouse movement, it will trigger it. Been see this pattern in a couple of time.

Such small things I observed and of course it totally throw me off. Imagine that a mouse movement to trigger it. Sometimes it will not trigger, so I just go ahead and login to the Admin Console and then after a while, it will trigger.

All in all, it is a super unpredictable things with regards to what Activity Monitor is showing us.

But I guess nothing we can do about since fmserverd did not crash.

1 2 Previous Next