5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 4:06 PM by Stephen Huston

Numbers default keyboard on data entry

mworden

I have created a form using FileMaker 12, and have received complaints from my users that for fields which are numerical only that they must change the keyboard before entering data.

I can't seem to find a way that the default keyboard that shows up is numerical and not the standard keyboard.

The users are using FileMakerGo 13. Is there any work around so the keyboard displays the numbers by default?

• 1. Re: Numbers default keyboard on data entry
          Stephen Huston

I believe the option to control the default keyboard for a specific field requires FMPro 13 to be used to set that option via the Inspector's panels. FMPro 12 doesn't include that feature, so files edited in FMP 12 don't include the keyboard choice settings.

• 2. Re: Numbers default keyboard on data entry
            steveromig

Stephen Huston wrote:

I believe the option to control the default keyboard for a specific field requires FMPro 13 to be used to set that option via the Inspector's panels. FMPro 12 doesn't include that feature, so files edited in FMP 12 don't include the keyboard choice settings.

Mworden -

Stephen is correct.  You'll need to edit your file in FileMaker Pro 13 to speciify what keyboard will display for "a" field in FileMaker Go 13.  More information here:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11880/

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Numbers default keyboard on data entry
              Stephen Huston

Steve R,

There have been reports of issues for clients of 12 and 13 when files have been edited in the other version. Can you tell us whether a field set to use a specific keyboard will retain that setting if the layout is later edited/saved using version 12?

Just curious about the persistence of these settings in a dual-version development setting.

Thanks,

Stephen H

• 4. Re: Numbers default keyboard on data entry
                steveromig

Stephen Huston wrote:

Steve R,

There have been reports of issues for clients of 12 and 13 when files have been edited in the other version. Can you tell us whether a field set to use a specific keyboard will retain that setting if the layout is later edited/saved using version 12?

Just curious about the persistence of these settings in a dual-version development setting.

Thanks,

Stephen H

As you might surmise, it isn't recommend to flip-flop back and forth between multiple versions.  So in the above scenario it is a good idea to stay with v13.

With that said, and certainly not an endorsement to run out and do it, the keyboard settings "stick" when you move between v12 and  v13 - but are ignored by legacy versions of FileMaker Go.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Numbers default keyboard on data entry
                  Stephen Huston

Thanks, Steve.

I had hoped that once they were set in 13, they would stick unless changed via 13 later, which sounds like the case. Ands it's understood that legacy Go versions won't recognize these settings.