4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 4:34 PM by rgordon

Disabling Dropdown after making selection

rdss

Hello Friends,

How can we disable dropdown field in filemaker pro 13 after making a selection?

Thanks in advance.

McGill

• 1. Re: Disabling Dropdown after making selection
          mark_b

Hi McGill,

This is a good question.  I will try it after I get off of here.  My thoughts are that you will need to stack the same field on top of itself.  The top field will have the dropdown option selected, the bottom one won't.  If you are using FM13, you can also use the new Hide Object When and put in If (not IsEmpty ( {field name} ).  That way, when someone goes to that field and it hasn't been selected yet, the drop down will appear.  As soon as they choose a value, that field will no longer be empty and the top drop down field will be hidden, displaying the same field without the drop down.  At least that's my thought.  I'll go try it.

Cheers, Mark

PS - tested it and it works as I guessed.

Message was edited by: mark_b

• 2. Re: Disabling Dropdown after making selection
            rdss

Hi Mark,

I will try it out and let you know.

Thank you sooo much for putting your effort in trying

-McGill

• 3. Re: Disabling Dropdown after making selection
              rdss

Hey Mark,

Just tried it and it's working I was stuck for so long. You solved my problem in just few minutes

Thanks Again,

McGill

• 4. Re: Disabling Dropdown after making selection
                rgordon

If you didn't have FM 13 you could do this with an on enter script trigger that evaluates if something is in the field.  If there is something in the field the trigger would exit the field.