3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 1:12 PM by keywords

Prevent Modification of SOME fields with privilege set & flag fields

DrewTenenholz

Folks --

FM11 (for now, soon to be 12/13)

I've been looking in the archives, but no joy (yet). Given that the status of a contract goes from:

Draft > Out for Review > Revised > Executed > Paid > Closed

I'd like to be able to prevent general users from changing SOME fields after a contract is 'Executed', then some more fields after is is 'Paid', and then ALL fields after is it 'Closed'.

I'd like to do this with Privilege Sets and not layout tricks for several reasons, including that these users have traditionally been able to create/edit layouts, so they could bypass layout-based 'tricks' (which are not really security.

I tried putting a Limited privilege calculation for editing records that included SELF which the calculation engine rejects....

Has anyone already solved this? If you can point to a post that solved this, I'm happy to chase it down.

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 1. Re: Prevent Modification of SOME fields with privilege set & flag fields
          wimdecorte

DrewTenenholz wrote:

ncluding that these users have traditionally been able to create/edit layouts, so they could bypass layout-based 'tricks' (which are not really security.

The abiltiy to create and edit layouts is very much part of the privilege set and not a "layout trick"

So before you tackle anything else you need to tackle this.  For all we know user can also create new priv sets, scripts, other accounts,...  So fix the basic priv set for users and let us know what that is and then we can help you with the other things

• 2. Re: Prevent Modification of SOME fields with privilege set & flag fields
            DrewTenenholz

Wim --

You're correct, a lot of the general users are because they just didn't know any better.  I've told them that this has to change, and they're OK with that.  I will certainly be able to give the users somewhat restricted access to RECORDS with privileges, but I suspect that they are going to be wanting to let users create their own new layouts and tweak existing ones. 

That means any of the methods which involve setting fields as buttons or layout/field-based script triggers that help us limit a user's ability to enter a field or change a record are not going to be very useful.  That's the reason to focus on privilege sets and RLA.  I've also seen some old notes on field validation calculations and though the validation failure message is pretty limited and usually not very informative, that may be the way I end up going.

I was sort of hoping that I could somehow create a list of fields that become uneditable when the contract goes from Draft > Executed and another list for Executed > Paid  and then stuff that into the 'Allow records to be edited when...' calculation that would be able to know which field the user is trying to edit.

I know about a much more complicated scheme where you set up 1-to-1 tables containing the fields you want to limit, but I'm afraid that it is going to be way over the head of the person doing day-to-day maintenance and minor changes to the files.

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 3. Re: Prevent Modification of SOME fields with privilege set & flag fields
              keywords

Disregarding the layout trick issue, I addressed exactly that scenario in a cashbook application, where it is essential that once an item has been reconciled the amount and certain other data must not be changed, then once it has been reported for tax purposes other data such as expenditure/income category must not subsequently change. The technique I applied is:

1.     Create one or more boolean Lock fields, which hold a 1 if relevant condition are met, otherwise empty.

2.     Set the fields you want to lock down to validate by calculation so that if the relevant Lock field contains a 1 it cannot be altered.

I'm sure you could adapt that sytem to suit your case.