3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 3:04 PM by erolst

Aliasing Parts

dogden

Hello all,

Background: I am trying to make an alias portal for similar parts. We have gone through a few part naming/ numbering standards over some years, and I am trying to have the previous names/ part numbers aliased to the current numbering scheme. I have a primay product table, and I believe I need an "alias" table and just index the two and portal over to the primary product table, but I'm having some trouble.

Goal:

If Part-1 has been called Part-A, Part_one, and P1, then I am trying to have the "Part-1" record in the product table show the known Aliases "Part-A, Part_one, and P1".

At the same time I am trying to get "Part-A"s record to show alias of "Part-1, Part_one, and P1" and so on...

Thank you,

D

• 1. Re: Aliasing Parts
          erolst

Add a key field to your product tabe; add a child table that will hold all names – the current one and the aliases. Put the primary key of the child record designated to be the standard name into the key field of the product table.

Each name record knows it siblings by the relationship fk_product = fk_product AND pk_name ≠ pk_name (i.e. “same parent, not myself” – which I think is the definition of a sibling …).

• 2. Re: Aliasing Parts
            dogden

Erolst,

I will try it, and report back on how it went.

Thanks,

D

• 3. Re: Aliasing Parts
              erolst

dogden wrote:

I will try it, and report back on how it went.

By all means – wouldn't miss it for the world …