2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2014 11:52 AM by user19627

Can't generate CSR for SSL Certificate

user19627

Hi,

I'm trying to generate a CSR for obtaining an SSL Certificate from Thawte for FM Server 13. I followed the guidelines to create the certificate request via command line in terminal from the latest FM13 security guide https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-3721, but terminal keeps telling me the command is unrecognized when I try to add it the business name, country, state, and city, as required by thawte. I've already checked the compatability guide for SSL certificate authorities and Thawte's SSL 123 is supported. Does anyone have any suggestions for generating a csr request so that I can get a certificate?

Thanks,

Jason

FM Server 13

Mac OS X Mavericks Server (10.9.2)

Only running FM Server without the native Mac OS X Server Web Services

• 1. Re: Can't generate CSR for SSL Certificate
          TimDietrich

Jason --

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I just installed an SSL certificate for FileMaker Server 13 this week.

My situation was a little different from yours. I ended up generating the request and getting the certificate through my Web hosting provider (MediaTemple). That made the process of generating the request, and purchasing the certificate, a little easier. It might not be any easier for you.

The problem was that, by ordering the certificate through MediaTemple, I couldn't use the certificate request file and encrypted private key file that would normally be generated if you were to generate them with FileMaker Server itself (via the "fmsadmin certificate create" command). So when I received the certificate, I ended up having to copy it, and the certificate request and encrypted private key files, to the directory that FileMaker Server expects them to be in, and renaming them. Instructions on how I did all of that are here.

Anyway, my point is that you might want to try to purchase an SSL certificate in a way similar to how I did it.

Hope this helps. If you have questions and want to PM me, please feel free to do so.

-- Tim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't generate CSR for SSL Certificate
            user19627

Thanks, Tim.

I was finally able to get the certificate installed using the command line tools as outlined in the FMS 13 security guide.  It turns out that the reason the key file and certificate mismatch was being caused by a certificate in the wrong format.  Once I downloaded the X.509 format from my GeoTrust account, it installed properly.

I appreciate your taking the time to let me know what worked for you.  In any case, I believe FM needs to update their documentation with more specifics so that we don't have to figure it out by trial and error.

Jason