1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 9:34 AM by ch0c0halic

Cursive Font not applying to Field

dvalley

I am not sure if this is a fluke, but I was trying to create a note card in FileMaker advanced 12. The card contained text and a merge field on a label layout. After creating the text and merge, I tried to change the font to a cursive one. I was able to add a few different fonts to the FM font list and apply them, but when I switched to browse or preview, the font on the merge field (and a regular field later as a test) would revert to a san serif. If I switch back to layout mode, the field font is applied. I tried this on another computer and found the same issue. I created a similar example in FM 11 and the font held. Has anyone else experienced this? The fonts were straight from the WIndows default fonts for XP and 7, no Adobe or third party fonts used. Only cursive fonts seemed to have this issue.

• 1. Re: Cursive Font not applying to Field
          ch0c0halic

My first thought is the Font information applied directly to the text will override the layout font assignment.

1. Try going to a layout where you can get to the actual data.

2. Select the data in the appropriate field

3. Cut

4. Past or better yet use the “Paste Text Only" command then you don’t have to do the next two steps

5. command-z to undo

- This will remove any text formatting from the text. If the text disappears then there most likely wasn’t any formatting applied.

Second thought:

A Font applied directly to the Merge text will override the layout Object font assignment.

Merge text looks something like this:

<<my_merge_field>>

Select the first < and assign a Font to it. This value is then used to assign the Font to the merge text regardless of the Font assignment of the Object (select an object and you get the resize handles) its in.

Third thought:

Not all Fonts can be used in FMP 12. If the Font isn’t True Type then FMP 12 won’t use it.

Knowledge base Answer ID: 636 , "FileMaker Pro 7 And Later Support Only TrueType Fonts On The Windows Platform"