4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2014 7:32 AM by erolst

Custom Value List or Lookup Tables?

ca78

Do you prefer to use a custom value list for fields that generally have a short list of choices or do you prefer to maintain those choices in a separate table and then create a value list based on the table?

• 1. Re: Custom Value List or Lookup Tables?
          Mike_Mitchell

Separate table is almost always the better choice.

• 2. Re: Custom Value List or Lookup Tables?
            datastride

If the list represents choices for some aspects of the UX (“Yesterday’, “Today”, “Tomorrow” or “Retail”, “Wholesale”, etc.), then a value list.

If the list represents “things” (people, places, things) in the real world, always a separate table.

#end

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10, 11 & 12

Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

One Part Harmony <http://www.onepartharmony.com/>  

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 3. Re: Custom Value List or Lookup Tables?
              ca78

That is my preference as well, I was just looking to see what most developers preference was.  I thought there might be some developers that might use a static custom lists, just to keep from developing additional layouts to maintain the lookup tables.

• 4. Re: Custom Value List or Lookup Tables?
                erolst

ca78 wrote:

That is my preference as well, I was just looking to see what most developers preference was.  I thought there might be some developers that might use a static custom lists, just to keep from developing additional layouts to maintain the lookup tables.

There's not much to “develop”; add a simple layout and use it in table view to manage the entries.

Also, don't forget that using a table allows you to define additional attributes (think "task status list" and desired sort order of tasks …alphabetical?), and that you can add a primary key and use that to refer to an entry, which gives you even more flexibility (if you need it).