6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 3:13 PM by taylorsharpe

OS X and FMS 13

taylorsharpe

In the past I had not paid much attention to this. I pretty much assumed if you were installing FMS, you wanted to do so on a Mac OS X Server machine. When you do this, there are several things that the OS does to behave more like a server like turning off spotlight indexing and some other such things. But when you install the Server app, it takes over the web services among other things. If you look at the FileMaker instructions for FMS, you are now not supposed to install the Server.app to make it a Mac OS X Server. You're supposed to leave it as a regular Mac OS X and then run the FMS install that takes over Apache web services. This also makes sure you don't have any other services on the Mac like file sharing, DNS, mail, etc. Officially, FileMaker will not answer tech support questions if you do install the Server.app. So, running FMS on a Mac really means a single service machine and remember not to install the Server.app that upgrades the OS X to OS X Server.

Out of curiosity, I have installed the Server.app on some FMS machines. Does anyone know a way to uninstall the Server.app? The only way I can think of is to do a system reinstall.

• 1. Re: OS X and FMS 13
          PointInSpace

Try deleting the Server.app - you should get a message that all services

will be stopped.  Then, delete the /Library/Server/ directory.

I'm assuming that FileMaker will provide support to folks running Server

on OS X 10.8, just not on 10.9, as their web site shows it as supported

on 10.8:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-13-specifications.html

- John

In the past I had not paid much attention to this.  I pretty much

assumed if you were installing FMS, you wanted to do so on a Mac OS X

Server machine.  When you do this, there are several things that the OS

does to behave more like a server like turning off spotlight indexing

and some other such things.  But when you install the Server app, it

takes over the web services among other things.  If you look at the

FileMaker instructions for FMS, you are now not supposed to install the

Server.app to make it a Mac OS X Server.  You're supposed to leave it as

a regular Mac OS X and then run the FMS install that takes over Apache

web services.  This also makes sure you don't have any other services on

the Mac like file sharing, DNS, mail, etc.  Officially, FileMaker will

not answer tech support questions if you do install the Server.app.  So,

running FMS on a Mac really means a single service machine and remember

not to install the Server.app that upgrades the OS X to OS X Server.

Out of curiosity, I have installed the Server.app on some FMS machines.

Does anyone know a way to uninstall the Server.app?  The only way I can

think of is to do a system reinstall.

--

• 2. Re: OS X and FMS 13
            miler24

Deleting the Server.app unfortunately does not work.  Full OS reinstall is the only way.  We worked with both Apple and FileMaker techs to determine this.  During install, Server.app makes changes that are not easily reversed, according to them.

• 3. Re: OS X and FMS 13
              taylorsharpe

I think you're advice is best, Eric.  If I really knew the OS well enough, I probably could reverse it, but it sounds like a lot of work.  Probably John knows the OS a lot better than I do and can undo it.  But if I have made this mistake, I just need to reinstall the OS and then run the FileMaker install.  Oh fun!  Thanks for the confirmation. 

• 4. Re: OS X and FMS 13
                psijmons

If you have TimeMachine switched on on that server, just place back your entire disk from before that change date (rescue FM data files if necessary)

• 5. Re: OS X and FMS 13
                  flybynight

There was another thread here the other day talking about FMS hardware, and some were insisting that you needed to be running OS X Server if you were using FMS on a Mac. I've never understood this rationale. I've always known the best practice to be that your FMS machine should be dedicated to that task. Other than disabling Spotlight, as you mentioned, and not enabling Time Machine, I would think you would want to keep that machine as simple as possible. Adding Server.app would just add more complexity that FMS doesn't need.

Just my $.02.

Laters,

-Shawn

• 6. Re: OS X and FMS 13
                    taylorsharpe

In the past, making FMS the only service, was a recommendation for performance.  It was not meant as a recommendation that the FMS may not work properly if there are other services.  In previous versions, FMS worked fine, but maybe less efficiently if there were other services.  The fact the FileMaker makes a service that cannot coexist with other server services suggests a non-stable product.  Microsoft and Apple and many other companies make a host of services that all co-exist on a server with only minor issues such as who controls what port.  But they do not cause the other services to fail or be unstable.  This is just an example of why some people do not consider FileMaker to be at the enterprise level.  After all, no one expects Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL or Oracle not to work on a machine that has say Active Directory on it or some other such service. 

A lot changed with Web Direct and I think the direction FileMaker is going is good, but is not there yet.  FMS 13 still needs to be more stable and able to coexist with other service if it wants to ever be considered an enterprise level database.  It did coexist with other service in the past and I expect that they are working through some of these issues for future patches and releases.  Hopefully the new VP of Operations is working on this.