1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 8:03 AM by taylorsharpe

Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?

Hi Everyone,

Over the next week or so, I have the opportunity to upgrade the HD in our FM Server, a MacPro 4,1, to an SSD for our local users and seek your recommendations on the currently preferred versions of FMS and OS X.

Currently we are rumming FMS 12.0.3 on OS X 10.8.2 with all clients on FMP 12.0.5. I've been reluctant to update the OS for fear of encountering incompatibility with the Java version needed for the Admin Console. I'm currently thinking we should go for OS X 10.9.2 with FMS 13 as we'll certainly be updating all clients to FMP 13.2 sometime later this year.

Other times I'd have preferred to stay with a legacy OS instead of choosing to live on the cutting edge of OS developments, but after watching posts on TechNet these last few months, I've see few reports of issues with OS X 10.9.2 (non server) and FMS V13.

Can anyone provide an argument for not proceeding in this way?

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
          ericjungemann

We have a dozen servers on FMS 13 . . . most of them on Mavericks.

Most of the upgrade situations provided an opportunity to upgrade the OS from Mountain Lion to Mavericks along with the FMS 13 change (deinstall/reinstall).

So far, we're certain the FMS 13 is much more reliable that FMS 12 from an Admin Console standpoint.  And we were experiencing FMS 12 crashes after backup on two of the systems.  That now doesn't happen.

We have another 14 (and growing) ready to upgrade but we're taking a couple of weeks breather to assess the dozen we upgraded.  So far so good.

None of them are on Mac OS X Server.  That is less an indictment of Mac OS X Server and more of our knowledge level.

We have had cases, with FMS 13 Admin Console, that it wasn't accessible from the browser.  In each case, since it wasn't urgent, we restarted the machine and everything was fine.

We've had a couple of end users think that the server went down but they were taking automatic updates (another thread on that . . . we were confused as well).

So, from our standpoint, not only 'so far so good' but much better than the incessant support calls about the old Admin Console.

Eric

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
            taylorsharpe

My input is that FileMaker 13 is not as stable as FileMaker 12 and you need to follow FileMaker's exact instructions if you want a stable solution on a Mac server.  FileMaker Inc. does not recommend FMS be installed on a Mac OS X Server where you have started the Server apps.  If you have the Server app in your applications folder and fire it up, it makes changes to your OS that FileMaker does not like.  In particular, the Server.app and FMS do not work together at all, which is very disappointing since it did in previous versions. 

If you want a rock solid Mac OS X install, do not install anything with the Server.app. 

I have installed Macs with FMS 13 on Mac Mini's with SSD hard drives and it works wonderfully.  Very fast and snappy.  This past week I installed my first Mac Pro with FMS 13 and it is really fast, especially the flash storage memory on a Mac Pro.  For individual processes, the Mac Pro is a little faster than a Mac Mini, but not much.  Basically, you will not get that much benefit from a Mac Pro unless you have a number of simultaneous users when compared to a Mac Mini i7 server with SSD drives. 

As Eric said above, there are no longer Admin Console java issues in FMS 13 because it is all HTML5 driven.  Keep in mind that FileMaker still uses Java, just not for the Admin Console anymore which was what cause the security headaches a couple of years ago.  While in general an improvement, there are things about the new Admin Console that are not as good as the previous version and this is just their version HTML5 version, so expect improvements.  My biggest complaint is that the Admin Console can no longer upload new databses.  You can only use FileMaker Pro Advanced to upload new files.  Very frustrating.  Most other complaints I have are a bit nitpicking and in general I like the new Admin Console. 

I like the free DataManix FileMaker 13 Server Manager posted here this week.  Check it out.  It is a nice way to keep track of multiple Admin Consoles if you manage a number of them like me. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
              BruceRobertson

"You can only use FileMaker Pro Advanced to upload new files."

Actually, no.

Both FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 have the upload to server feature.

• 4. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                PointInSpace

Actually, FileMaker is fine with FileMaker Server 13 on OS X 10.8

Server, it's Server 13 on OS X 10.9 Server that's not a supported

configuration:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-13-specifications.html

We've got quite a few OS X 10.8 Server machines with FileMaker Server 13

here running without issue.  Mavericks doesn't really offer anything new

for most folks on the server end of things, so I recommend sticking with

Mountain Lion for the time being.  I would think FileMaker will get

Server 13 working with 10.9 Server in a future update.

- John

My input is that FileMaker 13 is not as stable as FileMaker 12 and you

need to follow FileMaker's exact instructions if you want a stable

solution on a Mac server.  FileMaker Inc. does not recommend FMS be

installed on a Mac OS X Server where you have started the Server apps.

If you have the Server app in your applications folder and fire it up,

it makes changes to your OS that FileMaker does not like.  In

particular, the Server.app and FMS do not work together at all, which is

very disappointing since it did in previous versions.

If you want a rock solid Mac OS X install, do not install anything with

the Server.app.

I have installed Macs with FMS 13 on Mac Mini's with SSD hard drives and

it works wonderfully.  Very fast and snappy.  This past week I installed

my first Mac Pro with FMS 13 and it is really fast, especially the flash

storage memory on a Mac Pro.  For individual processes, the Mac Pro is a

little faster than a Mac Mini, but not much.  Basically, you will not

get that much benefit from a Mac Pro unless you have a number of

simultaneous users when compared to a Mac Mini i7 server with SSD drives.

As Eric said above, there are no longer Admin Console java issues in FMS

13 because it is all HTML5 driven.  Keep in mind that FileMaker still

uses Java, just not for the Admin Console anymore which was what cause

the security headaches a couple of years ago.  While in general an

improvement, there are things about the new Admin Console that are not

as good as the previous version and this is just their version HTML5

version, so expect improvements.  My biggest complaint is that the Admin

Console can no longer upload new databses.  You can only use FileMaker

Pro Advanced to upload new files.  Very frustrating.  Most other

complaints I have are a bit nitpicking and in general I like the new

Admin Console.

I like the free DataManix FileMaker 13 Server Manager posted here this

week.  Check it out.  It is a nice way to keep track of multiple Admin

Consoles if you manage a number of them like me.

--

• 5. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                  StephenWonfor

John

What Macintosh boxes do you use for your servers?

Stephen

"Weeks of programming can save you hours of planning."   -- unknown

• 6. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                    PointInSpace

John

What Macintosh boxes do you use for your servers?

Stephen

We use Xserves, primarily virtualizing OS X on them with vSphere.

- John

--

• 7. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                      StephenWonfor

Any thoughts on a MacPro vs a MacMini?

A client has 4 locations - 1 local and three remote.  The MacMini (brand new, OSX 10.9.2 and FMS 13) is having connectivity issues - FMS is dropping clients after a few hours.  An iMac 10.9.2 and FMS13 works in exactly the same physical and wire space with no issues.  A second MacMini has same issues - only reliable configuration found in testing is hardwire Mini and two laptops to same router with 3 ft max Cat5 length.  The two farthest remote sites are 3 million feet away so I fear Cat5 is a no-go there.

Might the MacPro have more robust networking?

Stephen

---

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."   -- Charles Antony Richard Hoare

• 8. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                        PointInSpace

I can't really say, as we don't use either of those machines in a production environment.

- John

• 9. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                          taylorsharpe

The Mac Pro's networking is the same gigabit connection found in a Mac Mini.  One benefit of a Mac Pro is that it has two ethernet connections.  The optimal way to use them is both at the same time and to have one for the LAN and one for the WAN.  Splitting these connections has yielded significant speed improvements for FMP clients on the LAN.  And, 3 million feet!  Wow.... yes, ethernet connections at best are 300 foot between nodes.  So you need to talk a wide are network connection for those (e.g., over the internet).  Also, the various levels of ethernet (Cat 3, Cat 5, Cat 6) do not change the length of the copper wire, only the quality of shielding, protection from interference, and quality of the connector.  Also, Cat 6 has plenum which apparently meets better fire codes in that it is not as flamable when burned. 

John runs a datacenter and will probably know more about networking.  But ethernet will not work for 3 million feet.  Do you even have a right of way connecting those two facilities?  If you do, you're probalby talking some fiber optic solution. 

• 10. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                            sporobolus

on 2014-04-10 22:10 taylorsharpe wrote

The Mac Pro's networking is the same gigabit connection found in a Mac Mini.  One benefit of a Mac Pro is that it has two ethernet connections.

note that a Mac Mini can use Apple's inexpensive Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet

adapter to have two ethernet ports

• 11. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                              taylorsharpe

Good point Steve.  I had not thought of that. 

• 12. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?

Hi Guys,

I've no need to for OS X 10.9 Server and, has no one has suggested that I should have any trouble with OS 10.9.2 with FMS 13 for our users running FMP 12.0.5 on a LAN with a migration of all clients to FMP 13.0.V2 later this year, that's the path I intend to follow.

Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

John

• 13. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                                  taylorsharpe

Running regular Mac OS X 10.9 and installing FileMaker Server 13 on it works fine and following FileMaker Inc.'s guidelines.  And I know John May said that FileMaker 13 works fine with Mac OS X 10.8 Server, but I disagree as I found out through personal experience on several servers.  If you open a 10.8 Server.app and do anything with web services, your Apache is screwed up between the OS and FMS.  FMS 13 does not play well with Server.app regardlessof whether it is Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9.  And if you phone FileMaker Technical Assistance and you have run the Server.app, they will tell you they do not support such setups and they refused to help me on a technical call until I reinstalled the OS and freshly installed FMS 13, upon which I did and the problem went away. 

I have servers running 10.9.2 with FMS 13 and they are working just fine if you haven't installed the Server.app.  But I will say that the problem of FMS not playing well with the OS's web service is a Mac issue and I have not had those problems on Windows Servers (2008 and 2012).  And FMP 12 plays well with FMS 13, just minus the new FMP 13 features. 

• 14. Re: Which versions of OS X & FMS do you recommend for a new SSD HD?
                                    StephenWonfor

Taylor

The server app was never deployed.

Have tested on 2 same spec'd MacMini's.  8GB Ram, dual 256 GB SSD's.

The only configuration that worked was full ethernet to dedicated router.  Max cable length 3 feet.

Same config but with Wifi suffered disconnects.  Router, Mini and two laptops within a 3 foot radius.

Back in the real world the server at the client is an 18 month old iMac running 10.9.2 and FMS13.

No disconnects at all.

I fear that the MacMini networking is the issue.

Stephen

---

"If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can’t speak English." ---  Homer Simpson

1 2 Previous Next