5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 5:45 PM by gdurniak

FileMaker 12 file bloating issues

laura@solutionmakers.com

Hello:

We have a FileMaker 12 file that is basically an interface file. The other day I noticed the file size was 8.5 GB and wondered what the heck!

Of the three tables in the file, one was used to store remote containers in the open mode (only about 100 records)

So, here's what I did to try and find the cause and remove the bloat:

1) Saved the file as a clone - file size dropped to 19,056 KB - much more in line with expectations for an interface file

2) Removed all of the records manually and saved the file as a compressed copy - file size changed to 5.9 GB

3) Did a recover of the original file with advanced features set to scan and rebuild scripts, layouts, fields, rebuild indexes, delete cached settings - file size changed to 5.9 GB

4) Manually deleted all records from the recovered file, then saved as a compressed copy - file size remained 5.9 GB

So my questions are: why is the clone file so much smaller than the recovered, no records, rebuilt indexes, compressed copy? Where would the bloat come from that was removed when I created a clone versus cleaning house? I need to begin hunting that down for another file that is used for data and don't want to have to clone and import millions of records in hundreds of tables.

Thanks!

Laura Bowyer

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 file bloating issues
          mardikennedy

Mac or PC?

On a bit of a tangent, we have an FMS Install with approx 7 Gb files and rapidly growing due to one particular project with a lot of pdfs.  These are stored (RC) External Open.  I got worried that the backups (we keep 19 (over a week) on a remote drive) would gobble up the available storage and that's when I discovered that the Windows 'file size' info can be a bit misleading.  It doesn't seem to entirely explain 'actual file size', v 'what it would be if you transferred it to another environment'.  The reality then is that - with External containers - our 19 backups total 67 Gb (ie, not 19 x 7).

Back to the actual question:  on an earlier version of FMP, there was an issue whereby the 'blobs' were not being removed (from the invisible background) after container data eg images were deleted.  This could cause significant file bloat.  I would hope that this has remained a thing of the past but maybe it's snuck back.  Did this file store container data earlier in its life, that was then deleted?

Good luck, Mardi

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 file bloating issues
            rrrichie

How many calculated fields are in the tables and are they storing data?  I would gues the clone wouldn't have processed any calculation yet, but once opened it should bloat then...

The file size can be misleading indeed, depending on the block size the drive is chopped in.  For example if you have a lot of small files on a big drive. (e.g. file is 1kb, but block size is 1024kb) then that small file wil take up 1024kb and shrink auto-magically when you drag it to a usb stick :-)

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 file bloating issues
              gdurniak

I saw this in FileMaker 5,  and Save as Clone was the only solution

What size is the Clone, after the 100 records are put back ?

greg

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 file bloating issues
                BobGossom

I knew a developer with a similar problem. They finally noticed that in Manage Database/Table View there was a dropdown for "Recovered Tables." I don't know exactly where the drop down is, because I haven't seen it myself. In any event this revealed a large recovered table that was bloating the file.

Bob Gossom

• 5. Re: FileMaker 12 file bloating issues
                  gdurniak

Yes, since FM8.5, Recover added a clean-up step, that detects "stranded" ( no longer referenced ) library data ( often images ), and creates a new table, with one container field, and records that point to the stranded data. This Table can be deleted

greg

> They finally noticed that in Manage Database/Table View there was a dropdown for "Recovered Tables."