9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 1:46 PM by CarlHarr

Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'

jdxxs

I had 2 databases open when I temporarily lost wi-fi connection to a network drive. Filemaker Pro 13 is located and running on a 2013 iMac running Mavericks and the .fmp12 database files were stored on a NAS drive.

When I reconnected, I received a message that one of the database was damaged. Confirming the message closed the database.

Trying to re-open it, I get an FMP message that I don't have permission to open the file.

Trying to recover the file asks to confirm a filename to save the file and then produces a FMP message that the file is locked or in use.

Trying to open the database from another conputer running Filemaker Pro 13 produces the same message.

Trying to copy and paste the file produces an OS message that I do not have permission.

I did not get any message about damage to the second database but I have the same problems opening, recovering and copying.

Anyone know how to recover/re-open thiese database files?

Many thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
          mardikennedy

Questions only.  Have you restarted each of the computers yet?  Any chance that at least one of the files behaves less horribly after the restart?

Mardi

• 2. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
            jdxxs

Unfortunately, Mardi, I conmtinue to have the same problems trying to access the files from the same computer after it was restarted and a separate computer (Macbook Pro also running Mavericks.

I am surprised that something that I would expect to happen to many people at some time or other should have such a disastous result.

And I'm stumped as to a solution...!

But thanks....

Jeff

• 3. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
              taylorsharpe

Shut down and restart the NAS and the computer.  It should unlock the file.  Copy the files to a local computer and use the Recover function on FileMaker Pro. 

Also, FileMaker recommends that you not open a database across a network.  You should only share a file over a network so that the host computer does not ever loose direct serial connection to the database.  Opening a FileMaker file on a NAS drive is somethign to avoid.  Copy it to the local computer and then open it. 

If you need to share the file, strongly consider a FileMaker server.  Or at least a Peer-to-Peer connection where the file is on the same machine that the FMP application is that is sharing the file.  But seriously consider FileMaker server.  I promise it will make your life a lot eaiser.  Opening files over a network or improperly trying to open the same file on a shared network by two FMP applications are common ways that FileMaker databases are corrupted.  And some corruptions are not fixable. 

Best of luck and seriously consider FileMaker Server.  That's my 2 cents. 

• 4. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
                mardikennedy

What Taylor said.  If it's/ they're still more of a development tool rather than full-on production files, maybe start with the Technet licence of FMS to see if it's appropriate to your environment.

?You're saying that after a machine restart, when booting up FMP and selecting the Recover command from the File menu, that the file still comes up with an 'in use' message?  That certainly seems unusual.

I have worked in imperfect conditions more times than I care to recall so I've had wireless drop outs, and I can assure you that it's uncommon to get those messages.  Usually the 'in use' message (in my experience) relates to a hosted file where the client has bummed out; sometimes you have to be a bit patient at the client machine until the server has formerly timed you out.

Obvious question:  how long since your last backup(s)?  Do you need to review your workflows around backups?

Also, standard drill on Recover:  its priority is to recover as much data as possible but it will not necessarily maintain the structural integrity of the file.  Therefore, if you use it, you should port your recovered data to an untainted clone of the pre-xxx file.

Regards, Mardi

• 5. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
                  jdxxs

Thanks for your suggestions Taylor and Mardi.

I did try restarting the NAS (having already restarted the computers). It did not make any difference.

But I have solved the problem..!

I used the File Manager (via a html browser) that is part of the firmware that comes with the NAS (a QNAP 421) and this allowed me to 'download' the file to the drive on the computer. I was then able to open it without errors or problems. It seems to be intact..!

But I will certainly take note of your advice not to maintain a file on a NAS - but I am surprised and disappointed that Filemaker Pro should have such a limitation adn require a server to share a database between a couple of users on a peer-to-peer network. But I will recognize reality and look into what I need to do.

Thanks again for the pointers and advice - and hope this thread may be useful for others who find themsselves in a similar situation.

Jeff

• 6. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
                    rrrichie

You don't specifically need server, but FMPro Advanced can act as a "small" server too.  That way the filemaker protocol is used and it works quite well in my experience...

I have only had damaged databases when the connection dropped when saving field definitions, custom functions of scripts.  Most of the time no problem... But when it got corrupted it was at one of those moments.

• 7. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
                      Mike_Mitchell

Jeff -

I am surprised and disappointed that Filemaker Pro should have such a limitation adn require a server to share a database between a couple of users on a peer-to-peer network.

Let me see if I can explain why this works the way it does. (Just so you understand and can explain it to management / clients.) FileMaker isn't just "sharing" the file, like Excel or Word might. It's a client-server application. As a result, there's always a server involved. The "server" in question just might not be the "server" you think.

Whenever you open a database directly using the FileMaker client (Pro or Advanced), that client becomes the host of the database (assuming the database has been set to allow sharing). In effect, this turns your local computer into a server of sorts; that's why you always get Bonjour installed on the client machine. Whenever any other client wants to attach to that database, it first has to attach to whatever client first opened it (i.e., the host), because that client is acting in the role of a "server" for the purposes of coordinating communication between the database file and the clients.

The problem comes in when you try to use a remote drive, not necessarily when you do peer-to-peer sharing. (Although the peer-to-peer sharing has issues too.) Because, as you've discovered, network drops and power outages can interrupt communication between the host and the drive on which the database lives, you can suddenly and unpleasantly break the communication between the host and the database file. This can result in all sorts of nastiness. That's why you get the warning about opening a shared file on a remote drive when you do things this way.

So what Taylor was telling you, in effect, is never use a remote drive to store your database file. Eliminate the possibility of network or power drops between the host (server) and the database file. As an added precaution, FileMaker Server has a lot more robust protections for the databases, including automated backups, automated detection and disconnect of failed client connections, automated logging, and a lot more. So your best practice is to use Server. But you can do peer-to-peer, so long as the database file lives on a hard drive directly connected to the computer running FileMaker Pro (or Advanced). The worst possible configuration is to use a remote drive, though. High risk, very low return.

HTH

Mike

• 8. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
                        wimdecorte

taylorsharpe wrote:

Opening a FileMaker file on a NAS drive is somethign to avoid.

Let's be very very clear on this: NAS is a NO NO.  NAS's work on the principle of shared folders.  Accessing FM files through an OS-level share has historically been the #1 cause of corrupted files.  Simply do not do it.

Put the files on the hard drive of the host machine and disable all access to those folders.

• 9. Re: Recover access to a database 'locked or in use'
                          CarlHarr

Sounds like the OS has locked the file.

Just create a finder copy of the locked file, then try and open the new file.