1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 3:50 PM by taylorsharpe

Send Mail SMTP Server Option and External Authentication

meatymeats

Hello All,

We are setting up some scripts which incorporate "send mail' steps and would like to use current logged in user information to authenticate to the SMTP server, rather than hard coding a specific user or creating a "SMTP send mail" user in our mailserver specficially for sending mail via FM (filemaker).

I know that you can pull the current user name with a Get ( AccountName ) which will return the current authenticated user (keep in mind we are using external authentication to Windows Active Directory). This works to fill the user name field and is acceptable for authentication purposes. We are looking for a similar way to pull current password information to use when authenticating.

The end goal is that FM would use the user credentials of the user who executed the script to authenticate to the mailserver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Regards,

meatymeats

• 1. Re: Send Mail SMTP Server Option and External Authentication
          taylorsharpe

For security reasons, FileMaker will never see the password on Active Directory.  It will only send a hashed password and receive an authentication approval. 

What I do is have a company directory with staff names and emails.  I fill that in the field for who is sending the email.  But I then authenticate FileMaker sending email with a special account I setup that only FileMaker uses.  Actually, I used to use it on the same server, set it up mail service and send as auto relay and only allow it to send from the same machine (allow auto relay only to 127.0.0.1).  That way I didn't even have to worry about a password.  But you can do it the normal way by setting up an FileMaker Active Directory and mail account for sending out email and it could do this while showing the staff person's return email in the email field.  Of couse FileMaker has officially said it won't support FileMaker Server if there are other services running, so technically you're not supposed to run a mail server on the same machine anymore and would need to use the company main mail server to send.