1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 9:13 AM by engpete

Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2

engpete

I can no longer paste into a dialog box after updating to Filemaker Pro 13.0.2. You have to right click paste or use the menu. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
          steveromig

Engpete -

Can you not paste anywhere or just in certain places / dialogs?

Is it possible you are trying to paste something that isn't appropriate for the field or object you are trying to paste into?

Or perhaps a custom menu set is in place that has changed the function of the paste command?

Maybe a weird plug-in compatibility issue or so other OS-level utility hijacking the paste command?

I have not heard of any reported issues with basic copy and paste functionality when upgrading to FileMaker Pro 13.0v2.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
            engpete

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

We are experiencing the problem only in the dialog box (Mac OSX) (printing/save as pdf). Not when pasting into other documents or fields in FMPro. This was working fine in FMPro 13.0.1. We are seeing the problem on more than one computer.

No, it is not  trying to paste something that isn't appropriate for the field or object you are trying to paste into.

It is not a custom menu set that is in place that has changed the function of the paste command.

It is not a weird plug-in compatibility issue or some other OS-level utility hijacking the paste command.

We saw this problem some time ago in an earlier version of FMPro 12 which went away after an update. I don't recall which update.

Are you able to repeat this problem on your computuer?

Thanks,

Pete

• 3. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
              steveromig

Pete -

Ah ha.  Thanks for the added details.

I AM able to reproduce this using FileMaker Pro 13.0v2 but cannot using FileMaker Pro 13.0v1.  Didn't try it on Windows but it certainly does not work running Mavericks.

I'll research this a bit more and likely submit it as a bug.  In the meantime, your right-click suggestion is your best bet.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                engpete

Hi Steve,

We are now at FM 13.0 v4 and this bug still exists. Do you have any plans to fix this?

Thanks,

Pete

• 6. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                  engpete

Hello Steve,

Thank you again for your reply below, back in April of 2014. I replied to you 2 days later but never heard back from you. Perhaps you have no more suggestions.

I just wanted to touch base with you again as we still continue to experience the pasting with keyboard into the save dialog box not working. We are up to date with FM Pro 13.0v5.

Thanks,

Peter

• 7. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                    mra_inbend

I've noticed that FileMaker 13 behaves a bit differently from FMP11 and earlier (I skipped FM12). I use FM Advanced.

With FM Advanced, you have 3 options for pasting (these are the Mac shortcuts):

1. Use the menu as you do.

2. Use Command-V

3. Use Option-Command-V (for pasting plain text)

Prior to FM13, all worked for me. With 13, sometimes neither keyboard shortcut works and I need to go through an intermediate program (I use Stickies). I paste the text as plain text into Stickies (Shift-Option-Command-V), then cut or copy the text from Stickies, and then it invariably pastes into FileMaker.

Unfortunately I haven't discovered what it is about some formatted text that prevents FM13/Mac from pasting it into a field. But maybe this more detailed description will help somebody figure out what's going on. And yes, it still exists in FM13v5, at least on the Macintosh platform.

Abbott

• 8. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                      engpete

Abbot,

Thank you for your suggestions. I just found that I can paste from the menu, and as I said before by right clicking and selecting paste in the save as pdf dialog box, but still not with the keyboard (command-v). I can get the keyboard command to work momentarily if I paste via the menu once; it seems to work the next time around, but it seems to be very erratic.

I don't understand why FileMaker hasn't addressed this issue yet. It is clearly a bug.

Thanks again,

Pete

• 9. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                        jrenfrew

Surely at this point it is an OS X driven dialog not a FileMaker one??

I can replicate it here too, but am wondering why you don't use SaveRecordsAsPDF??? Paste (CTRL-V) works there.

• 10. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                          engpete

Hello,

Thank you for your input.

There are 2 scenarios I have: One is actually printing (not save as pdf) via a script printing to another file and the other scenario is going to the print dialog where we manually save as pdf. I'm not printing a record from the layout I'm currently in.

• 11. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                            DEC

I, also, can't command V paste into any field (e.g., text) since upgrading to FMP Advanced 14.  I can't command V copy either.  Doesn't work on Windows 7 either (haven't tried the other versions of Windows).  Very frustrating.  Any idea whether this has been submitted as a bug?  If it is one, it's pretty major, as many of the solutions I've devised for my clients rely on them being able to copy from word docs into FMP.  Many thanks...

-N

• 12. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                              CarstenLevin

HI dec,

i am using Filemaker on OS X 10.4 and win 8. No problems with copy and paste from ctrl/cmd C or V. Can you say more about your setup. is the problem consistent or every now and then?

Are you using Custom menu's?

Bpest regards c

• 13. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                                DEC

Hi Carsten,

Many thanks for chiming in.

I'm accessing both local and hosted databases, from one of three computers:  (1) a brand new HP laptop assigned by my employer, running Windows 7; (2) 3-year old 27-inch Imac running the current version of the Mac OS; and (3) an older Imac Air running the latest version of the Mac OS.  

I never had any major trouble with the computers except this is the second HP/ Windows laptop issued to me by my employer as the first one was repeatedly freezing.  The prior HP laptop my employer issued to me had the same problems with cut and paste in Filemaker.

I was running a trial version of Filemaker on the prior HP/Windows computer.  I've installed a permanent copy of Filemaker on my work computer using my Filemaker Advanced license key so that I can test on the Windows platform the various Filemaker solutions my employer may adopt.  My employer is officially interested in adopting these Filemaker solutions, but this can't be done until I nip this copy/paste thing in the bud.  The version of Advaned is the latest version.  Now that I think about it, the problem didn't appear until after I installed the latest upgrade of FM14 a short while ago.

The solutions in question are custom-designed by me and have been running on multi-platform environments for several years though I recently upgrading the GUI for the one of primary interest.  

None of the solutions use custom menus, but a few of them feature text fields wherein the auto enter is a TextFormatRenove calc that normalizes any text pasted into the field by the user.  The failure I'm experiencing in copying/pasting appears in normal text fields as well as those that feature the calc.

The problem appears on all three computers, though the appearance of the problem is inconsistent.  Sometimes I can command-paste text into a field from an external doc into a Filemaker field with no problem, but then the failure occurs and remains after a period of usage.  Sometimes I can copy/paste from an external doc but I can't command-copy or command-paste from one Filemaker field in a solution to another field in the same solution.  Most of the time I can do neither.

Hope this helps, and many thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Sent from Outlook for the iPhone

• 14. Re: Can't paste with command-V into dialog box with update 13.0.2
                                  CarstenLevin

Hi again,

Could you create a new file, just with a field or two. Have this open with no other of your FileMaker solutions open. Close FileMaker completely, start with only you new test file.

How abut cmd or ctrl C & V now?

If it is working now you may consider finding the problem in your old files.

Best regards

Carsten

1 2 Previous Next