3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 10:22 AM by vince.menanno

blog post 100x Faster - Flight Testing FileMaker 13 Perform Script on Server - Part I

vince.menanno

Since the release of FileMaker 13 we have been exploring a new feature called “Perform Script on Server” (PSoS).

I’d like to give a big Thank You to the FileMaker engineering team for this new capability in FileMaker 13. I have been rethinking solutions in light of this new capability and the results have been astounding.

In a recent blog post, I describe how PSoS works, how it’s best implemented, and how our tests show PSoS can drastically improve database performance, more than 100x in some situations. I also cover a number of considerations before you run wild and convert scripts to execute via PSoS.

A follow up post is coming with even more exciting information as to what is possible with PSoS. If done right this feature can dramatically transform the user experience.

• 1. Re: [blog post] 100x Faster - Flight Testing FileMaker 13 Perform Script on Server - Part I
          perren

Great post Vince!

It was even more awesome to see you demo all of this live last week in Portland.

When can we expect your "one more thing" demo sample file to get posted? I'm curious about some of it's internals...

Thanks,

--Perren

• 2. Re: [blog post] 100x Faster - Flight Testing FileMaker 13 Perform Script on Server - Part I
            vince.menanno

Thanks Perren.

We are also very excited about all the possibilities with PSoS.

The follow up blog post should be done within a week.

Vince

• 3. Re: [blog post] 100x Faster - Flight Testing FileMaker 13 Perform Script on Server - Part I
              vince.menanno

Perren, Its posted.

Also just posted this in the Dev Forum.

There are so many cool things you can do with Perform Script on Server. This technique is very exciting and I’m really thrilled to share it with everyone.

It’s actually a combination of things:

1 - Perform Script on Server (PSoS)

2 - FileMaker Server 13’s Additional Database Folders -  to define where you want external container data stored

Combined, these enable a new way for a user to run an import, with almost no impact on the FileMaker client side.

The BLOG POST goes into more detail as to how to set it up correctly, but what it allows is even more exciting.

I tested this uploading an Excel file into a container field and then having the import execute on the server. During import, a user can continue working in the database or even close their laptop — and either way the import continues to run on the server.

It’s a big deal for WAN users. In the example provided we import over 100,000 records. With a traditional import (via FileMaker client), we tested it over the WAN with one of our developers in Switzerland, and it took over 35 minutes to complete. With this PSoS technique it took only 21 seconds!

But it’s also cool UX functionality that we can give LAN users, especially if the task/import is otherwise long and tedious without PSoS.

We hope you all find this new possibility helpful - let me know what you think.