3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 3:16 PM by erolst

Generating new codes from option fields ...

ricone

Hi all,

I am quite new to filemaker (using Pro 12) trying to figure out if the following is possible:

I would like to use two option fields to generate a new code. E. g.

Option field A

20 selected

40 selected

Option field B

AA

BB selected

CC selected

Generating code

20 BB

40 BB

20 CC

40 CC

Do you know if this can be done with Filemaker Pro 12 and if yes, how? Thanks for a short answer!!!

R.

• 1. Re: Generating new codes from option fields ...
          erolst

ricone wrote:

Thanks for a short answer!!!

You mean short, as in "yes, it can be done in FM 12, with a recursive function or a looping script"-short?

And what does "new code" mean, exactly? A new list? Records with the generated values?

• 2. Re: Generating new codes from option fields ...
            ricone

hi erolst ...

thanks for the speedy answer. yes, a new list. what i mean in terms of code is using the selected options to create a new record(s) in a parallel data base. say i select those options in data base A and get 4 new records in data base  B. is this possible? do you have a tip where i could look for a solution / how a recursive function could work?

thanks a lot!

• 3. Re: Generating new codes from option fields ...
              erolst

ricone wrote:

hi erolst ...

thanks for the speedy answer. yes, a new list. what i mean in terms of code is using the selected options to create a new record(s) in a parallel data base. say i select those options in data base A and get 4 new records in data base  B. is this possible? do you have a tip where i could look for a solution / how a recursive function could work?

thanks a lot!

If you want to generate new records, rather than just a list, you'll need a script anyway, so use a looping construct; that's also easier to understand and debug than a recursive function.

Schau mal ins deutschsprachige Forum.