6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 1:00 PM by DavidZakary

Communication Breakdown

JohnValeanBaily

I recently had need to work with Document Management and the external container processes using Mavericks and FMS 13. I’m using a MacMini running Mavericks as a server (8gig RAM).

The one file is 16.3 gig, which I uploaded to the server using FMPA13’s upload process. Once on the server, I ran the external container enabling processes, reducing the file from 16 GiG to 60 Mb. No reported errors.

Tested the file from a client using FMPA 13. It works fine.

As a last test, I then tried to use the Admin Server capability to download the (closed) file to my client desktop using the Download Database command.

After five minutes I got a Communication problem, error 404.

Tried again same thing.

Tried another file (163 gig) on another server, same processes, same error.

Ran the Recover on the file locally, no reported errors.

Duplicated the upload/container processes, same error.

Contacted FMI Tech Support. Paid my money, they started delving.

They used my original file (sans pictures) of about 60 Mbytes.

They could not reproduce the problem until they ballooned the file up to 16 Gig, at which size the error worked flawlessly !

Here’s the response from the excellent techie, Matthew, verbatim:

“I have tested downloading both mine and your file. I have also both tested with having the data transferred externally and only being stored internally. In all cases, when the file is ballooned to 16GB, the 404 error you mentioned does occur. This is likely a limitation of the server software itself. If an immediate workaround is required, I recommend either performing regular backups which compress the file and external contents or copying the file and data itself directly to a backup drive.”

(my emphasis)

I suspect a fix is in the works...

HTH

• 1. Re: Communication Breakdown
          gdurniak

Just curious ...

I thought the external container feature resulted in separate folders of images

What exactly happens when you download the closed file ?  to you get a 60 Mb file, or does it try to re-insert the images ?

greg

> I have tested downloading both mine and your file. I have also both tested with having the data transferred externally and only being stored internally. In all cases, when the file is ballooned to 16GB, the 404 error you mentioned does occur. This is likely a limitation of the server software itself.

• 2. Re: Communication Breakdown
            BruceHerbach

John,

Is the issue having FMS re-combining the container data and the database so that it can be downloaded from the server?

The temporary solution is to run a backup and pull the backup files for both the database and the container data?

Have you tried this and been able to access the local container data from the local copy of the database?

With the database on the server and the container data set as external, are you able to do all of the normal functions with the existing container data and add new records?

Thanks

Bruce

• 3. Re: Communication Breakdown
              wimdecorte

gdurniak wrote:

What exactly happens when you download the closed file ? 

What happens under the hood is that FMS zips the FM file itself and the whole folder structure where it keeps the RC data and downloads that as one file.

The problem has been that the RC folder structure is somewhat different for the hosted file than for it's local version so after you downlaod the file (assuming that it works given its overall size) you would still have to manually move one or two folders before the local version sees its RC data

• 4. Re: Communication Breakdown
                JohnValeanBaily

There is no problem with using the file from the client side.

It's when downloading the file from the server to the d/top that the proces just stops indicating a 404 error.

So the file does not download.

The work around is to use a backup.

• 5. Re: Communication Breakdown
                  JohnValeanBaily

Hi Bruce,

The issue is that the file does not download to the client desktop as expected.

All other aspects of server/client usage work as does document management.

It's just downloading the file that doesnt't work.

• 6. Re: Communication Breakdown
                    DavidZakary

Just a thought, but could it be a network issue? Wondering if you received a hiccup on the network, and it causes FMS to hiccup in a much more dramatic way. More of a server puke I guess.

Are you doing the download via wifi?