4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 5:56 AM by aanshi

Pie chart from value list or multiple column

aanshi

I want to create a Pie chart But I m confuse in this.I have one form which contain Client name and some question (feedback question)So In Filemaker there are two table one is client which contain client name and another one is Feed back in this table there are five fields called q1,q2,q3,q4,q5(There are five feedback quesrion in forms). This field contain any one value from the value list(Good,Satisfactory,Poor). SO now I want to create a chart based one this value list.I also wan tto create chart for client ->feedback . I 've no idea from I shld statr from where ?

• 1. Re: Pie chart from value list or multiple column
          jbrown

Hello.

A pie graph can only have one data series, and that series is sorted into its groups. So obviously you wouldn't get all the question's responses on one graph. If you want to see a pie chart for all 5 questions, you'd need to create 5 pie charts, each pointing to a different field.

So does your Feedback table have multiple records for each client? Does client A have 10 feedback responses, for example? If so, you can use the pie chart to display a summary of each response for each question.  Another question: Your tables are related, right? I assume so. In my sample one, the primary key for the client is the foreign key in the Feedback table.   Client::ID =  Feedback::ID_Client

In your feedback table, you need to include a summary field for each Question field.  It needs to be a COUNT summary type. I named mine Count_Q1

TO set up your table, do this:

1. In your feedback table, you need to include a summary field for each Question field.  It needs to be a COUNT summary type. I named mine Count_Q1

THen do this to set up the chart:

1. On the client layout, draw a pie chart.
          2. In the Category Labels dialog box, click on the ... and choose "specify field".
          3. Navigate to the Feedback table and choose the field Q1 (this will give you the unique values of the field:  "Good" , "Satisfactory", "Poor".)
          4. In the Slice Data box, click the ... and choose a field. This time choose the Feedback::Count_Q1 field.
          5. Choose any options you want.
          6. Click on the "Data Source" tab (lower part of the right side of the chart)
          7. Here, choose "Related Records".
          8. Choose the related table "Feedback"
          9. Sort the records by the Feedback::Q1 field.
          10. Finally choose "Summarized groups of records" in the Chart Display when sorted field.  (this will prevent all the records from showing up and will trigger the Summary field you created.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 7.47.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-22 at 7.47.49 AM.png

• 2. Re: Pie chart from value list or multiple column
            aanshi

Hey Thanks a lot for reply and explain everthing so deeply. I try this And its working and I also got the idea about the charts and summary field also.

I m getting wrong output ..e.g Here for ABC client there are 2 records for this client both are GOOD But its count 3.

Could ypu please give ur example 's download links or post it here ?

• 3. Re: Pie chart from value list or multiple column
              jbrown

Hmmm. If both the responses are "Good", they should show up together and the pie chart should have a solid circle. Could one of the records have a return character in the field after the "Good"?  Filemaker would see that value as different than "good".

I'd check your summary field. Make sure it is set to COUNT of the Q1 data.  Double-check to make sure your pie chart is sorting by the Q1 field. Make sure that your Q1 field is set to "Text" type. 

Without looking at your file and the fields and the pie-chart set up, i cannot diagnose exactly.

• 4. Re: Pie chart from value list or multiple column
                aanshi

Hey I solve this.Thanks for ur help