3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 9:27 PM by taylorsharpe

Creating new user in Mavericks server

IanWilson

I am running FM Server within a virtual VMWare server on a Mac Mini which is running Mavericks Server. I have a project under development and so far I've had no real issues to speak off. Yesterday I was asked to give our clients FTP access to our server. In a nutshell, this is how I'm thinking it should work.

1. A new FM record is created for our new customer and a folder named with his unique ID is created using BaseElements in the FTP root on the Mavericks server.

So far this works fine, but the next part is tricky ...

2. I have a created a group in Mavericks server called ftpusers and I now want to perform an FM script on the server that will call a shell script which creates a new OS X network user account for the client and makes it a member of the ftpusers group. Then I want to modify the ACL for the new folder so that only administrators and the client have FTP access to the new folder.

All this is possible from Terminal, so I should be able to do it from a shell script, but the all my research says that the Temrinal command has to provide a unique UID for the user, usually 1000 and above. Unless I can get the shell script to generate the UID automatically I think this is going to fail.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please, on how this might be done?

Cheers

Ian