5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 5:24 PM by keywords

Multi-Level Conditional Value List

jprochniak

Hello everyone.

This subject seems to be covered in other postings but I seem to be missing something. I'm attempting to create a multi-level conditional value list for aircraft maintenance and what's called a "Minimum Equipment List." Essentially it comes down to three categories: Aircraft, Equipment Item (or ATA) Chapter, and Item. That being said, each individual aircraft has certain ATA chapters and within those are specific maintenance items to choose from. To address this I've created an "Items" table that lists the Aircraft, ATA Chapter, and maintenance item. That table looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 2.25.05 PM.png

The idea is that once an aircraft is selected, I can only select an ATA Chapter specific to that aircraft and then an item specific to that ATA chapter. I've created a relationship between the "Aircraft" in the final form and the "Aircraft" in the "Items" table:

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 2.26.03 PM.png

Here's my issue: on the final form I can choose the appropriate aircraft, which limits the ATA Chapters taht I can pick, but when Ii comes to picking the item, all of the items listed in the item column of the items table populate my drop down list. I'm only looking to populate that drop down list with items associated with that aircraft and ATA chapter, not the whole list. This is what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 2.36.44 PM.png

I've gone through the FM support page reference conditional value lists, as well as the Team DF link (http://www.teamdf.com/weetbicks/conditional-value-lists-pt-1-what-are-they-how-to-build-them/24) but I'm still missing something and I'm pretty sure it's something simple. I can get the first condition to work but not a second.

Any thoughts??

Thanks everyone!

• 1. Re: Multi-Level Conditional Value List
          keywords

As far as I can work out from your post I would say you need a second relationship for your items list. The list you currently get limits chapters to match the selected aircraft. Once a chapter is selected, you need a relationship to limit the items to that chapter, or perhaps aircraft + chapter if a chapter may refer to more than one aircraft.

• 2. Re: Multi-Level Conditional Value List
            jprochniak

Thanks. That's kind of what I ascertained from the Team DF posting but I haven't been quite able to figure out how to set up such a relationship in FM13. Any pointers?

• 3. Re: Multi-Level Conditional Value List
              keywords

If you have the chapter code in the table you are working from (which you appear to have) then you set up a relationship to a second Items TO, using the chapter code field as your match field. If you need to further filter to a specific aircraft, match BOTH chapter code field and aircraft field in this relationship.

• 4. Re: Multi-Level Conditional Value List
                jprochniak

Ahh...got it. I'm getting closer. One last question (hopefully) and I think I've got it. So I've set up a second TO of the "Items" table and created the relationships as you suggested.

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 4.33.14 PM.png

The only issue now is that after selecting the aircraft and respective chapter, the only items that are displayed on my item dropdown are the items associated with each aircraft's respective chapter, i.e. for N902TX I can only choose between Rotor Brake System and Ventilation while with N361CR I only have the choice of Environmental Control Unit and Heating System. Here are a couple of screenshots:

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 4.32.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 4.32.34 PM.png

I'm guessing that my problem remains in how I set up my value lists?

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 4.34.13 PM.png

Sorry for all the questions. I'm pretty green and trying to teach myself FM as I go along.

• 5. Re: Multi-Level Conditional Value List
                  keywords

You are certainly on the right track. I'm not totally clear how you are actually deploying this, but see if the attached demo file offers any pointers. Note that I've used both portals and value lists to show the behaviour of the relationships.