1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2014 10:35 AM by EKZ

On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present

EKZ

I added "FM Data Source..." in a TO located in the relationship graphic. Set up a very simple relationship to comicate between a few small FM files on my local computer/disc at home and our full blown FM data base running on FM server at office over a VPN. Sometimes I want to work in those small FM files on my local machine at home without conectng to the server over the VPN. Would love some advice on what on open script steps I need to neatly disable my small local FM Files from performing a prolonged search when the srever over the vpn is not present.......When I open the database over the VPN then there is no problem navigating to the data sources on my local disc / machine. Thank you.

• 1. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
          danielfarnan

I don't think it will prevent the system from searching for the remote files, but you can specify more than one location for a single data source and FileMaker will try each in turn.

For example:

fmnet:/hostname/filename

file:/path/filename

Alternatively, you _might_ be able to specify the location for the data source as being the contents of a global variable (I doubt it) and have your OnOpen script prompt you for a source (hosted or local) and then set the appropriate value into the global variable used for the data source.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
            beverly

You can have a return delimited list of sources in one dialog. See the help topic on setting data sources. And search this forum (and others) for caveats to this method.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
              EKZ

Beverly, I want to thank you and danielfarnan for getting back to me. When I poke around further Is the following question stated

correctly: "How can a prolonged FM data source search be avoided / enabled at times when the client is unable or prefers not to

connect to the said source?" Also, this probally sounds totally silly - could a work around be to set up a local FM data source as a

decoy of sorts. It would be an empty FM file accept for one related table for the purposes of connecting and ending FM from seaching

further?

• 4. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                Stephen Huston

Keep in mind that FM will search for the files in the order you list them when there are multiple filepaths stated in a single data source.

This means you can put the local file before of the fmnet path, and the fmnet path won't even be tried if the local file exists in the location you specify. This allows you some control, but you have to plan for by placing or moving the file you want to use to short-stop the fmnet search. Once the fmnet search kicks in, it's awfully hard to stop it safely, and it sometimes continues for several minutes before giving up if the connection is not valid.

• 5. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                  beverly

The order in which the source appears on the list may be the answer. Were you able to find the help topic on this?

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 6. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                    EKZ

Stephen and Beverly:

Thank you all for continuing the discussion. Stephen: As I understand you and all other forum participants that are kindly helping - I believe FM help does echo the points that all have said about file paths - FM performs the search in the order the paths are  created , by name, or custom order. Correct?  I don't want to try it before checking with forum pros to avoid any unintended consequnences that messes things up. But Stephen and all if the VPN is not connected would it be an improper work around to have a local file source as a "decoy" resulting in FM succeeding in comunicatingtion there by concluding the search cycle that otherwise is anoying? Am I way out in left field?

On a side note, I have never particpated in a forum accept for FM Tech Net so this is all new to me. Any pointers? Am I complying with proper FM Tec Net etiquette? Have not looked into how the point system works either. Is that for when one recieves a click on Helpful? - Thanks again.

• 7. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                      beverly

Welcome, we can be a zany bunch sometimes. If you're polite to the others they will more likely reply.

I work "locally" while developing on one particular solution. I have a "dummy" set of data files (clones of the clients') and the interface file I work on locally has sources to the local AND the remote (clients') - in that order. I'm careful to not make changes in schema (field definitions), but mostly layouts and scripts in the interface file. This allows me to make changes, give the new interface file to the client.

Those in the office use the same path I do (relative, but on the hosted server). Those in the field, use only the interface file on their devices and link with the second source (the hosted data files). If I must make schema changes,  I zip up my "dummy" files, so the paths connect to the hosted data files. I make the change(s), get a fresh clone of these changes and download for my usage as the "dummy files" locally (when I'm not connected to the FMServer, not on iNet).

Yes, I've been doing this since we've been able to have multiple sources in the list.

Beverly

• 8. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                        EKZ

Beverly:

I really enjoy learning FM and find this forum to be an excellant source. Interesting reply - will do some experimentation over the next few days and then get back to you. Thanks for your welcome!

Eric

• 9. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                          Stephen Huston

Beverly noted that she puts the local file first in the filepaths list, which is optimal when working with her local files. Keep in mind that if you add a local file after the fmnet path, the fmnet path is still going to trigger the long network hunt for the served file before giving up and using the local path. Once the fmnet path is started, the delay is going to happen if that filepath doesn't work.

As for the TechNet points system, each posting gets a point, helpful answers get an extra point or two, and corret answers (as marked by the original poster) receive another point or two. (I haven't watched closely enough to tell which are single, double, or triple point awards.) Obviously, helpful and correct people get points faster for the number of posts they make, but the rankings also tend to award people who just chime in with any post, so points are a measure of  participation primarily. Kind of like gold stars for just doing your homework.

Still, it's good etiquette to award points to people who help you solve problems here. Other than that, good etiquette, in my opinion, includes

• starting new threads with titles that give a good idea of the nature of the question or problem
                          • keeping a polite tone to the discussions (when you eventually encounter a rant, you will see why...)
                          • trying to keep the discussion from veering off to a different topic (time for a different thread/question when that happens)
                          • taking part when you have something to offer beyond "me too" responses; off course that's unless the question is about whether anyone else has encountered a similar problem, in which case, the more the merrier, but particularly if you found a solution or a different solution than was already suggested
                          • being helpful,  thankful, and playful... and, when you can, give something back if you have time and can help

By the way,

Welcome to TechNet!

• 10. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                            EKZ

Stephen:

Thank you for expanding further re my data source inquiry. At this point based on your and Beverly's feed back, I think going forward I need and will keeping working

and get more hours/expeiance in to get a better grasps with how data sources behave.

Your very detailed expanation about the point system and etiquette was most helpful. Feel free to advise me if and when my part of a discussion needs to be tuned.

One more about the point system. Am I missing something or does the helpful button not always show. I think I am seeing "Correct Answer" only after helpful was clicked.

• 11. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                              Stephen Huston

I think the options to click helpful and correct depend in part on whether or not you started the thread as a question, rather than an informational posting. But, in this case, you clearly posted a question.

If you aren't seeing options which make sense, try sending a Private Message (see: Your Stuff > Private Messages) about it to the TechNet Admin person who handles FM stuff for this forum at FM Inc. They can  explain the fine points or run down a problem with this website's behavior, which gets tweaked from time-to-time.

• 12. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                                EKZ

Stephen: Thanks for getting back to me. Until I find time to look into that "Helpful" button as opposed to "Correct" be assured that I am very appreciative of all of those such as youself, Beberly, danielfarnan and all who have been and are willing  to help one that is still in their early stages of learning FM. Further, in the spirit of your advice about good etiquetteI I would like to take you up on your point about not veering off Perhaps you can tell me if I am waisting precious time. But first just an FYI: This exercise if it results into something useful is just for me and would not be practiced by other coworkers therefore if its not as intuitive as it should otherwise be, thats OK. Anyway,  I creat a new FM file placed it on my desktop where it would be intended to stay put. Then added just a few fields foreign keys (fk) and a constant (calc that equals number 1) mainly such that the file would behave as an imbound terminal only sort to speak for FM only data sources / host on fm server at office (also everything we use is FMP12 - pro , server software , I have advanced). on one end and only a couple of local fm files on my machine at home. The "terminal file" is in first position in the filepath dialogue box on my local disk. I wired up the host side to it for the time being for I have been spending a ton of time working on a higher priority project in my local files which trigered this thread. So for now it seems like it at least made the host happy but haven't really had enough time to get under the hood to really see/understand whats going on. So mainly the question remains: Is experimenting with this "terminal" file idae just a waist of time? I am sure you have a lot of pressing things to do so there is no rush to reply.

• 13. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                                  beverly

I've learned probably the most from "experimenting". Sure it takes time away from "working" (?!), but in the long run, "training" and learning some VALUABLE stuff now will speed up the real developing later.

If you haven't done so, would you take the time to go through the FileMaker Training Series? I also found that real training gets some of these things out of the way so that when I get to developing, I'll remember something from that training that I maybe didn't need "right now".

If you fail at your experiment, then coming back to the list will get you some better answers, as you know what doesn't work?!

Beverly

• 14. Re: On open script to enable search for FM data source when not present
                                    EKZ

Thanks for the advice Beverly. Yes I went through some parts of John Osborne's training series and  parts of FTS both of which in areas that are most imediate to learn.

Still have a long ways to go and plan to return to FTS and leran more gradully. I agree with your advice. FTS is excellent and John is for sure as well..

1 2 Previous Next