2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 1:15 PM by wimdecorte

Problem with backups

tpolland

I have a customer that is using FileMaker Server 12 and they are having problems with the backups. We have full backups running daily and weekly. After a system reboot, it seems to back up one time, then the next backup says running, but it never finishes. The files are large (~20 GB total for all of them), but it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to back them up. This has happened twice now after properly shutting down the databases (close all, stop the service, reboot the server).

I'm not certain what information would be helpful. The server is up to the required specifications in hardware and software. The server is dedicated to Filemaker (both FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Pro 12 are running on it).

Thanks for your assistance with this issue.

• 1. Re: Problem with backups
          jkrichton

Tpolland,

Have you checked the event log within the Server operating system and FMS 12 server log for any clues?

Jeff

• 2. Re: Problem with backups
            wimdecorte

What Jeff is saying is where to start: what do the logs have to say.

In addition, how is your server configured:

Is verification turned on for the backup?

tpolland wrote:

The files are large (~20 GB total for all of them),

What is the largest file size?

The server is up to the required specifications in hardware and software.

Please post details, the requirements don't tell us much in relation to what your solution is and what it does.  make sure to include the free disk space on all drives on your server and indicate where live files and where the backups go.

Also let us know if you have Progressive Backups turned on.

The server is dedicated to Filemaker (both FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Pro 12 are running on it).

Ay, that's not good.  I hope you're saying the FMP 12 is just installed but not actually "running" on the server.