8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2014 11:32 PM by Titof.8

Issue with externally stored PDF

Titof.8

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this issue. Tell me if not

Does anyone know why when inserting a PDF as a file in a static container field as well as a PDF in a interractive container field, Filemaker autamaticaly generates two other files one in .jpg and the other one in .png. format?

Both locally and on Filemaker Server Advanced.

Thanks for your answers

• 1. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
          mikebeargie

FIlemaker always generates a thumbnail for most container content, just in case you switch the "interactive" setting on and off.

Is this an issue for you?

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10245/~/interactive-content-and-other-enhancements-for-container-fields

This article shows the checkbox to turn off auto-thumbnail generation.

• 2. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
            Titof.8

Hi Mike

Thank you for your answer

Sorry, I forgot to mention that these two files were generated in the same "Files" folder as my PDF (hosted location)/Files/...

As far as I understand and in case of permanent storage on FMS 13, thumbnails are generated in Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Caches/FileMker/ContainerCache/...

The issue is that my (hosted location)/Files folder is at least 3 times bigger than it should be, as these two files (png and jpg) generally are bigger than the PDF itself.

We manage over 70'000 PDF, il let you imageine the size of my (hosted location)/Files.

Any Idea

Thierry

• 3. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
              mikebeargie

I believe that's the location of the temporary cache that gets emptied out when you close filemaker.

However permanent stored thumbnails I thought are stored in the same location as the container field contents so they can be secured if secure container storage is configured.

Does changing to temporary storage of thumbnails solve the issue for you? It slows performance vs. stored thumbnails, but I'm not sure how many documents each of your users would be using per session.

Also, read up on this:

http://www.mightydata.com/blog/stop-embedding-documents-in-your-database/

External storage is shown to take up less space than embedded storage.

• 4. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
                Titof.8

Thumbnail generation in Manage Containers is disabled.

Please find below a print screen of (/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/Gestion/RC_Data_FMS/ImCat001/Files)

Imported are this folder 150 PDF which generated a folder size of 500 Mb.Note that png et jpg size are bigger than the pdf itself. These are real big thumbnails!

Furthermore, deleting the pngs and the jpgs makes the folder size 48 Mb big and turning the container from interactive to static still allows to see an image in the container.

Isn't this quite strange?

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 18.01.24.png

• 5. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
                  wimdecorte

Titof.8 wrote:

We manage over 70'000 PDF, il let you imageine the size of my (hosted location)/Files.

Break up the folder structure by record ID or some other category:  Windows nor OSX is very good at dealing with thousands of files in one folder so you're just setting yourself up for a lot of pain.

Using "secure" storage solves this problem for you.  If you choose "open" storage then you have to manage that yourself.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
                    Titof.8

wimdecorte a écrit:

Titof.8 wrote:

Break up the folder structure by record ID or some other category:  Windows nor OSX is very good at dealing with thousands of files in one folder so you're just setting yourself up for a lot of pain.

Using "secure" storage solves this problem for you.  If you choose "open" storage then you have to manage that yourself.

I am breaking up folders by customers/year/1000 files per folder but I 'll test the "secure" storage option, thanks for the clue.

In this case, the issue is much more the automatic generation in my external Container/Files folders, on top of the pdf transfer, of 2 other files (1 jpg and 1 pgn with exactly the same name) which due to their format take up to 9 times more space on my volume than it should. (see the screen shot). I was wondering how I could deactivate this unwanted jpg and png generation.

Exactly the same happens if I insert the pdf as a file in a static container. (ie. 1pdf, 1png and 1jpg with the same name on my external Container/Files folder)

Any idea?

• 7. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
                      keywords

What you are seeing is standard FM behaviour when using external open storage. You see different behaviour with external secure set, and no file generation at all if you check store only a reference.

• 8. Re: Issue with externally stored PDF
                        Titof.8

Thanks for all your answers, I just couldn't imagine it was a standard behaviour.

Nice week-end to all of you