1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2014 6:28 PM by Malcolm

How to prevent Leading underscore in Fieldname when importing cells with leading zeros from Excel

user22423

I have a problem with importing a spreadsheet from Excel into FMP. Only fields with leading zeros get an underscore into FMP. How do I get rid of them?

Context:

Preparing table in FMP to fill with data from the solution to finally deliver a prepared exportfile to Excel again. The tables are very big (lot of fields and record) and I prepare those in Excel.

Problem:

I can open the files in FMP and I'm asked to put the first row into fieldnames of the record. That's very nice. I do so. Then FMP makes a new database from the table. When I go to the database design I see that All fields which are interpreted with numbers have a leading underscore. See table below what I mean.

Source in ExcelFieldname after import in Filemaker ProResult
      MM_IDMM_IDFine
      K_TP_NAMEK_TP_NAMEFine
      001_MSASSS_001_MSASSSBad

This screenshot is from Excel. The first row from this sheet is imported to fieldnames in one table in FMP. All cells have a text format but are interprete differently in FMP in the import process.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 11.57.13.jpg

This is of course the reason ... It is possible to change the fieldname afterwards but FMP doesn't like it.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.34.26.png

Questions:

As said, the tables are very big to manually change the filednames. Is there a posibility to ommit the preceeding underscores when importing from Excel? And as you see, this only happens when FMP interpretes the first digits as a number. And of course, is it wise to work with leading zeros in filenames? I choose for this option because I want to export from the solution as is imported from Excel and I want to prevent extra sort procedures.

Thanks in advance,

Harold

1 2 Previous Next