3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 1:06 PM by gczychi

Cannot upload to Server: Connection Error

gczychi

Hi,

I've asked the same question to http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/623e05230f, but no answer. :-(

I have installed FM Server on a Win 7 Pro machine and tried to upload a database to it (from a Mac). After a while of trying to connect it aborts with a "Connection failed." (see screen shot).

I didn't receive any answers so I decided to install Windows 8.1 Pro (complete fresh install that took me two days). After installing FM Server the second time, I encountered the same problem. I can't connect to the FM server!

I also haven't found a way yet to open the management console from another computer on the network (just a plain network, no subnets). I can RDP to the Windows machine just fine. It works flawlessly.

This is my first time installang FM Server. What am I doing wrong? Anyone any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Gary

• 1. Re: Cannot upload to Server: Connection Error
          wimdecorte

The upload requires port 443 to be open.  That and the fact that you can not get to the admin console from another machine sort of points to the firewall on the Windows machine.

• 2. Re: Cannot upload to Server: Connection Error
            gczychi

Thank you, Wim,

I have checked the ports and 443 was open:

mbp:~ gc$ stroke 192.168.178.30 443 443

Port Scanning host: 192.168.178.30

Open TCP Port:           443                        https

…and 1600* were closed. After I specifically opened port 16000 and 16001, only 16000 was open. Strange:

mbp:~ gc$ stroke 192.168.178.30 16000 16001

Port Scanning host: 192.168.178.30

Open TCP Port:           16000

Anyway, no connection to FileMaker Server, neither database upload nor admi console were reachable.

I don't know what else to do.

• 3. Re: Cannot upload to Server: Connection Error
              gczychi

OK, I have found the problem. Port 5003 must apparently be open as well. At least it started to work after I opened it as well.

I have now open the following ports on my Windows 8.1 machine:  443, 5003, 16000

Thanks a lot,

Gary