1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 6:00 PM by wimdecorte

Server Side Script To Close A DB

john__j

Can anyone provide a valid example of a shell script that leverages the "fmsadmin" command to close a database and that can be successfully executed through a server schedule?

The following is the code I'm trying to use to achieve this task:

#!/bin/bash

#

sudo fmsadmin close -y mydatabase.fmp12

exit 0

I've tried running this with the default "fmserver" account and with the server's admin account and both yield unsuccessful results. If I run the scheduled script with the server's admin account I get a Aborted By User error. If I run it with the default fmserver account, the script looks to execute successfully but the database does not actuall close. I've propogated the permissions of Scripts folder down to my custom script and have edited the sudoers file as mentioned in the FileMaker Server documentation.

I'd love to hear the specifics in how some of you are achieving such a task on your server(s).

• 1. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
          wimdecorte

I don't recall off the top of my head: when you do this in terminal, are you asked for FMS admin credentials?  If so you have to also specify the -u and -p switches and provide the username and pw that can access the admin console.

Also: it is considered best practice to first test for what clients are connected and disconnect them first and trap for errors, especially if the next steps involve trying to move or download the file.

• 2. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
            wimdecorte

This is a full example on how to do a full automated shutdown on Windows.  The fmsadmin syntax and all of the logic would be the same on OSX.

The important bits are were the script keeps polling fms to see if clients are connected and if the files were closed properly.

. -----------------------------------------

' Author: Wim Decorte

' Version: 2.0

' Description: Uses the FileMaker Server command line to disconnect

'               all users And close all hosted files

'

' This is a basic example.  This script is not meant as a finished product,

' its only purpose is as a learning & demo tool.

'

' This script does not have full Error handling.

' For instance, it will break if there are spaces in the FM file names.

' The script also does not handle infinite loops in disconnecting clients

' or closing files.

'

' This script is provided as is, without any implied warranty or support.

Const WshFinished = 1

q = Chr(34)  ' the " character, needed to wrap around paths with spaces

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

' Change these variables to match your setup

theAdminUser = ""

theAdminPW = ""

pathToSAtool = "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmsadmin.exe"

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAT = "cmd /c " & q & pathToSAtool & q & " " ' watch the trailing space

callFMS = SAT

If Len(theAdminUser) > 0 Then

callFMS = callFMS & " -u " & theAdminUser

End If

If Len(theAdminPW) > 0 Then

callFMS = callFMS & " -p " & theAdminPW

End If

listClients = callFMS & " list clients"

disconnectClients = callFMS & " disconnect client -y"

listfiles = callFMS & " list files -s"

closeFiles = callFMS & " close file "

stopServer = callFMS & " stop server -y -t 15"

' hook into the Windows shell

Set sh = WScript.CreateObject("wscript.shell")

' get a list of all clients and force kick them off

clientIDs = getCurrentClients()

clientCount = UBound(clientIDs)

' loop through the clients and kick them off

If clientCount > 0 Then

fullCommand = disconnectClients

Set oExec = sh.Exec(fullCommand)

' give FMS some time and then requery the list of clients

Do Until oExec.Status = WshFinished

WScript.Sleep 50

Loop

Do Until clientCount = 0

WScript.Sleep 1000

Debug.WriteLine "Waiting for clients to disconnect..."

clientIDs = getCurrentClients()

clientCount = UBound(clientIDs)

Loop

End If

' get list of files and close them

fileIDs = getCurrentFiles()

fileCount = UBound(fileIDs)

' loop through the files and close them

If fileCount > 0 Then

Do Until fileCount = 0

fullCommand = closeFiles & fileIDs(0) & " -y"

' give FMS some time and then requery the list of files

WScript.Sleep 50

Loop

fileIDs = getCurrentFiles()

fileCount = UBound(fileIDs)

Loop

End If

' all clients and files stopped

' shut down the database sever (does not stop the FMS service!)

fullCommand = stopServer

WScript.Sleep 50

Loop

' done, exit the script

Set sh = Nothing

WScript.Quit

' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Function getCurrentClients()

tempCount = 0

Dim tempArray()

Set oExec = sh.Exec(listClients)

' in case there are no clients...

If oexec.StdOut.AtEndOfStream Then Redim temparray(0)

' read the output of the command

Do While Not oExec.StdOut.AtEndOfStream

strText = oExec.StdOut.ReadLine()

strText = Replace(strtext, vbTab, "")

Do Until InStr(strtext, "  ") = 0

strText = Replace (strtext, "  ", " ")

Loop

If InStr(strText, "Client ID User Name Computer Name Ext Privilege") > 0 OR _

InStr(strText, "ommiORB") > 0 OR _

InStr(strText, "IP Address Is invalid Or inaccessible") > 0 Then

' do nothing

Redim temparray(0)

Else

tempClient = Split(strtext, " ")

tempCount = tempCount + 1

Redim Preserve tempArray(tempCount)

tempArray(tempCount-1) = tempClient(0)

End If

Loop

getCurrentClients = tempArray

End Function

Function getCurrentFiles()

tempCount = 0

Dim tempArray()

Set oExec = sh.Exec(listfiles)

' in case there are no files...

If oexec.StdOut.AtEndOfStream Then Redim temparray(0)

' read the output of the command

Do While Not oExec.StdOut.AtEndOfStream

strText = oExec.StdOut.ReadLine()

strText = Replace(strtext, vbTab, "")

Do Until InStr(strtext, "  ") = 0

strText = Replace (strtext, "  ", " ")

Loop

If InStr(strText, "ID File Clients Size Status Enabled Extended Privileges") > 0 OR _

InStr(strText, "ommiORB") > 0 OR _

InStr(strText, "IP Address Is invalid Or inaccessible") > 0 OR _

Left(strtext, 2) = "ID" Then

' do nothing

Redim temparray(0)

Else

tempFile = Split(strtext, " ")

status = LCase(tempFile(4))

If status = "normal" Then

tempCount = tempCount + 1

Redim Preserve tempArray(tempCount)

tempArray(tempCount - 1) = tempFile(1) & ".fp7"

End If

End If

Loop

getCurrentFiles = tempArray

End Function

• 3. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
              john__j

When you run the command in Terminal you are prompted for the fmserver account password. I actually run the command without the sudo in Terminal when achieving this task manually. In doing this you have to hit return to accept the defualt admin account as the account to run the command under then type in it's password.

The frustrating part is that in FileMaker Server 13 you have the ability to run a schedule under the default account (Mac = fmserver) or by specifying a different account. But when leveraging both these options I can't get the script to work. Depeding on which account I run the script under and whether or not the "sudo" portion is present (or the "exit 0") it either looks like it runs successfully but nothing actually happens or I get an error in the form of either Aborted By User or a scripting error...

Thank you for your example code, unfortunately it's not much use to me. All of our FileMaker clients and servers are Mac.

Also, I'm trying to achieve this task without having to code the username and password into the script. I thought FileMaker Server's ability to execute a schedule under either the default account or other specified account would achieve this...?

• 4. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                wimdecorte

john__j wrote:

Thank you for your example code, unfortunately it's not much use to me. All of our FileMaker clients and servers are Mac.

The core (where it uses the fmsadmin command line and the logic structure is going to be the same, so it is easy to port to a shell script

john__j wrote:

Also, I'm trying to achieve this task without having to code the username and password into the script. I thought FileMaker Server's ability to execute a schedule under either the default account or other specified account would achieve this...?

Nope, two different things.  Interaction with the fmsadmin CLI requires the account that was set up to administer FMS, the same account you use to open the admin console itself.

It would be a bit of a security risk if anyone could make FMS execute things under the default fmserver account (that gets installed with FMS).

• 5. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                  john__j

wimdecorte wrote:

Nope, two different things.  Interaction with the fmsadmin CLI requires the account that was set up to administer FMS, the same account you use to open the admin console itself.

In this case, the account that I'm specifying in the CLI is the same account that is set up to administer FMS.

Let's take another angle at this dilemma. I will describe how I can successfully execute the command in the CLI then explain how I execute the command through a server side scheduled script. Then maybe it will be more clear as to why it's not working from FMS or what I might be missing.

(in Terminal)

1) type: sudo fmsadmin close -y mydatabasename.fmp12

2) hit return to execute the command with the account setup to administer FMS

3) type: the password for that account

4) SUCCESS: database closes as expected

(in FMS)

1) create a shell script with the following code:    

#!/bin/bash

#

sudo fmsadmin close -y mydatabase.fmp12

exit 0

2) place that shell script in FMSs default Scripts folder

3) propogate permissions of that folder down to the newly created shell script file

4) creat a schedule in FMS that uses the shell script file

5) specify the FMS enabled account and password (same on as in step 2 above) to execute the schedule

6) run the schedule

7) NO SUCCESS: schedule runs successfully but did not work, the database is still open! The following is information captured in the log just after running the schedule:

Why don't I get the same result?
                  Disclaimer: I know this script is very raw, I'm just trying to get something working at the moment. Once I can prove the mechanism I will then be interested in refining it further.
                  • 6. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                    john__j

john__j wrote:

7) NO SUCCESS: schedule runs successfully but did not work, the database is still open! The following is information captured in the log just after running the schedule:

Server Log output:

May 8, 2014 12:35:16 PM                    Server Events          Information          150          Schedule “TEST2_ServerSideScript” completed

May 8, 2014 12:35:15 PM                    Server Events          Information          731          Schedule “TEST2_ServerSideScript” has started system script “untitled2.sh” with process ID 70053

• 7. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                      wimdecorte

john__j wrote:

(in Terminal)

1) type: sudo fmsadmin close -y mydatabasename.fmp12

2) hit return to execute the command with the account setup to administer FMS

3) type: the password for that account

4) SUCCESS: database closes as expected

The thing that you need to get past is that the fmsadmin CLI does NOT inherit privileges from the running account.   You MUST specify an admin account with the command.  Just like what happens when you do it from Terminal as you mention above.

Hardcoding credentials in a shell script is not ideal and I don't like it either but that's the way it is.  There are obviously ways to not hard-code the credentials but have the script read them from an secure location etc.  But it does drive up the complexity of the script.

• 8. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                        user19752

sudo itself needs password as you type at 3) on terminal.

It is same when runs in shell script.

There are some ways to resolve it, see 'man sudo' on terminal for detail.

One may be run the script as root, but I think it is not good way...

• 9. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                          john__j

wimdecorte wrote:

The thing that you need to get past is that the fmsadmin CLI does NOT inherit privileges from the running account.   You MUST specify an admin account with the command.  Just like what happens when you do it from Terminal as you mention above.

I understand that you have to specify an admin account with the command. I've demonstrated this be pionting out how I run my command via Terminal and via FMS by using said admin credentials. And, as I pointed out with the log example, I can get the script to run successfully via an FMS scheduled server side script BUT it actually doesn't execute the same (or at all) through FMS as it does in Terminal.

• 10. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                            wimdecorte

john__j wrote:

as I pointed out with the log example, I can get the script to run successfully via an FMS scheduled server side script BUT it actually doesn't execute the same (or at all) through FMS as it does in Terminal.

The log simply reports that the SCHEDULE was run, but it does not give you any feedback about what the schedule did.  That's up to you to provide exit statuses that will be reflected in the log.

• 11. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                              user19752

Hmm, /usr/bin/fmsadmin is installed as everyone can execute it, so sudo is needless.

On terminal, fmsadmin command requires "username and password" (when option is not supplied), not only password.

If you don't see username prompt, removing 'sudo' will require nothing to input, then success.

I may have misread that 2) saying about username prompt...

• 12. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                                john__j

I believe you did misread the Terminal Step #2 listed above. In any event, the real question at hand isn't dealing with executing the command in Terminal. Rather, it's about getting the command to run through a FMS scheduled script without having to code the username and password in the script...

• 13. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                                  user19752

So, write the password to a 'protected' text file and use it in script as

fmsadmin -u username -p `cat /path/to/the/protected/file` close -y mydatabase.fmp12

This should work but I can't mean difference from protecting the script file itself, since the password file should be accessible by the account to run the script.

• 14. Re: Server Side Script To Close A DB
                                    sibrcode

Hi Wim,

Is it still necessary to be so careful when closing a file? My impression is that now (but perhaps not circa FMS 9) using the -t option is sufficient to have users disconnected and the file gracefully closed. The same goes when using the fmsadmin stop server command.

Admittedly, haven't tested this out.

1 2 Previous Next