7 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 12:33 AM by user19752

Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?

LSNOVER

Hi Folks:

When I print a PDF out of an Interactive Container Field, Filemaker appears to be assigning a name that is someting like "FM" & and GUID. (Long string of characters and numbers).

Does anyone know of a way to control how Filemaker names this file? I want it to be the name of the original PDF. I know I can manually save it to disk, but that requires more steps, and then opening the full version of Acrobat Reader to print.

Thanks,
      Lee

• 1. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
          Stephen Huston

You can script a $variable for the file path/name you want, and set the saved file to open automatically using that option in the save dialog. Then have the script steps set to perform without dialog, and your saved PDF will open in the default PDF viewing app, ready to print. All just by clicking on the scripted button (Print?) in FMPro.

• 2. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
            LSNOVER

Hi Stephen:

Yes, I understand that, but I don't want to have it open in the external reader.  I'm attempting to print it through a special PDF printing process, which addes specific watermarks and such.  I can access the file name as part of the watermark process.  But when we simply do the Print command from the Interactive PDF viewer, Filemaker is saving the file to disk with a long unique otherwise useless file name.  This is the part I'd like to control. 

Otherwise, I have to open in Reader (per your advice), then print it again to the special PDF printer (which adds the watermarks), and then print the final PDF yet again to the real printer. 

• 3. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
              Stephen Huston

Do you not get a printer dialog for saving the file with a name of your choosing when printing to a file via your special printer driver?

If not, that seems to be a function of the printer driver, rather than of FileMaker. I know my print dialog boxes are generated based on the printer drivers available, each with options available via the OS/application combination for the selected printer.

I'd look into the documentation for the printer driver if it's specifically intended to output special PDFs.

• 4. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
                LSNOVER

Stephen:

Yes, but the dialog is for the name of the resulting OUTPUT file, not the INPUT file.  Filemaker is saving the document to a temporary directory and the Print driver is picking that name up.  I was able to work around the problem by manipulating the preferences file for the printer another way, but it would have been easier if I could control and use the file name. 

Appreciate your input.  It's never as simple as it seems. lol.

• 5. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
                  user19752

Using external storage on the container field may be the simplest. ( FM12 or after only )

• 6. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
                    LSNOVER

User:

Yes, that would have been better, but for the purposes of this project we needed everything INSIDE the FM DB.  I'm jumping through hoops, but think I have it all pinned down.

Thanks,
                    Lee

• 7. Re: Printing PDFs from Interactive Container Fields?
                      user19752

Ok. but I can't replicate your issue.

Right click on the container field and select document 'property' shows the filename just inserted file's name,

location is empty line. (not saved any where ?)

When print it using PDFreDirect v2, default filename to save is the name.

What version of Adobe Reader do you use?