7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 5:12 PM by raycon

FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems

raycon

Hello, has anyone else had trouble with the developer testing licence for FMS13?

It recognises my key, completes the installation, then hides in the Library.

Also the log shows that the licence has expired?????? But, I just received it didn't I???

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
          steveromig

It recognises my key, completes the installation, then hides in the Library.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "hides in the Library?"  FileMaker Serve isn't an app per se and is not meant to be "launched" and runs more like a service when you start your system.

Also the log shows that the licence has expired??????  But, I just received it didn't I???

I had Developer Relations check the key in your profile and it checks out OK.  So there is something else going on.  Did you have a previous version of FileMaker Server on the system you are installing on?  Perhaps a trial version?

I'd confirm that you do not have any versions of FileMaker Server running / installed on your system.  This includes any partially installed versions of FileMaker Server.  After you have confirmed that your system is "clean", try installing your Developer License of FileMaker Server 13 and see what happens.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
            raycon

Thanks Steve,

By hiding, I meant I can't find a path to upload files to, but I suppose if it thinks the licence has expired it wouldn't allow me to upload files.

I did have a trial version installed, and I went through correct process to un-install (didn't just delete files, couldn't find any to delete if I'd tried :-) ) but still no joy.

I could do a clean install of Mavericks on the machine I'm using as my test bed, but that would be drastic????

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
              steveromig

raycon wrote:

Thanks Steve,

By hiding, I meant I can't find a path to upload files to, but I suppose if it thinks the licence has expired it wouldn't allow me to upload files.

The easiest way to upload files is using FileMaker Pro.  Previous versions of the FileMaker Server Admin Console had an "upload assistant" but starting with FileMaker 13 the uploading has been moved to FileMaker Pro.

However, if you wish to manually upload files to FileMaker Server, that process really has not changed much from previous versions.  Check out the FileMaker Server help for more information by searching for "Uploading database files manually"  Alternately, you can also look here for the help online

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fms13_help.pdf

I did have a trial version installed, and I went through correct process to un-install (didn't just delete files, couldn't find any to delete if I'd tried :-) ) but still no joy.

I could do a clean install of Mavericks on the machine I'm using as my test bed, but that would be drastic????

Still sounds like somehow / somewhere part of the trial is left behind.  No reason why the key in your profile should not be working.  So unless you are looking at an old log where the license for your trial did indeed expire, there is something else running on your test machine that Server is not happy with.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
                raycon

I was attempting manual uploads, which I’ve done happily previously on 12, and then with 13 I found you could simply copy files to the correct folder, so that’ what I’ve been doing. 

Now this test installation says the path for my files is filemac:/Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/ whereas from memory the files are usually deployed (on a windows server) in a directory something like  filewin:/C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/FVSRG/

Sounds like I have a gremlin in the test machine.  I’ll go hunting…….

Regards,

Ray Constantine

Treasurer

Fremantle Volunteer Sea Rescue Group

e: treasurer@searescue.com.au

w: www.searescue.com.au

fb: facebook.com/fremantlesearescue

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
                  raycon

Well, I don't know Steve, I decided to go ahead and upload a file via FMPA, and it worked and opened.

I'm attaching a grab of the console after initial deployment just to show you I'm not insane.  It clearly states the license has expired and that it wouldn't open any files, but it worked anyway????    Many thanks for you help

Untitled.jpg

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
                    robwoof

Hi Ray,

The Mac path you list is the default, standard, normal, ordinary path on the Mac OS. That's where it goes - and the reason is that the mac OS has Unix underneath the pretty graphical interface. Things like server software, that runs as a "service", isn't treated like an "application" that you use on the local machine. And in the Mac OS, service-type stuff goes in the Library folder.

As an aside, if you copy files directly into the data folder (/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/), you need to set permissions correctly or else FileMaker Server will have problems - another thing related to the Unix underpinnings of Mac OS. Windows is not as fussy about such things... but since you managed to get files loaded and open int he Admin Console, you're underway anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Development License problems
                      raycon

Sorry Rob, I wasn't clear about Filemaker being hidden.  There seems not to be any FM files in teh Library at all.  I'm using an "Air" as a testing server, with Mavericks and its default apps, no additional apps running, and it's working just fine now thank's for your input.

I did this:      defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE  in terminal  but as you can see from the attachement I still can't see the data folder.  But it really doesn't matter now.

server.jpg