13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 9:59 AM by PaulTurnbull

FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices

JavierDura

FileMaker Training Series 13 Advanced says:

"A popover object can be dismissed by clicking the popover button a second time or by clicking anywhere outside the popover object. The iOS Human Interface Guidelines recommend developers avoid providing a “dismiss popover” button. However, if the popover is being used for data entry, a button may be appropriate for accepting the input and dismissing the popover."

Do you consider that we should include a button in every pop-over to close it?

I think that some inexperienced users can feel lost without that button...

• 1. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
          mark_scott

Hi Javier,

Are you talking about popovers in FM Go or Pro (or both)?  On the iPad, at least, popovers are very ubiquitous and most iOS developers seem to follow Apple's guidelines, so users are probably accustomed to expecting them to close when they tap elsewhere.  BTW, more of Apple's suggestions for popover usage can be found here, if you're interested.  For anyone who hasn't checked them out, Apple's human interface guidelines (for both iOS and OS X) are good reads (and periodic re-reads ;-) for UI inspiration.

hth,

Mark

• 2. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
            JavierDura

Are you talking about popovers in FM Go or Pro (or both)?

In this case, I was talking about FM Pro.

more of Apple's suggestions for popover usage can be found here,

Good link. Thanks, Mark.

• 3. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
              JohnSindelar

I'm not sure i'm happy with this, but yes, I think including a way to dismiss the popover makes sense on the desktop. My reasoning is that uers who aren't looking for a way to close the popover won't mind / won't see the close button. But users who aren't sure how to close it will be more quickly relieved if we have an obvious mechanism for them.

- John

John Sindelar

SeedCode: FileMaker Calendars & Templates

tel 855-733-3263

http://www.seedcode.com

• 4. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                datastride

Agree with John about providing a “Cancel” or “Close” option for desktop (FM Pro) users and FMWebDirect users. However, if you are using separate layouts for FM Go and FM Pro, I think leaving this option off for iPad and iPhone users is more in keeping with the look/feel/operation of other iOS apps and means you can save a little space, make the popover a little less busy/crowded.

#end

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10, 11 & 12

Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

One Part Harmony <http://www.onepartharmony.com/>  

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 5. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                  beverly

Why separate layouts if you can hide said button in OS where UX says it's uncommon?

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 6. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                    datastride

All kinds of reasons for separate layouts …

Optimum type sizes and button sizes are different on iOS vs desktop.

Pop-up menus work much better on iOS than drop-down, but drop-down feels better on desktop.

Smaller screen-size of iOS devices suggests changing the way data is organized and presented (assuming you want much the same capabilities on both).

Some color schemes work better in daylight (as with an iOS device used outside), while others look better on desktop.

The list goes on …

#end

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10, 11 & 12

Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

One Part Harmony <http://www.onepartharmony.com/>  

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 7. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                      JavierDura

But users who aren't sure how to close it will be more quickly relieved if we have an obvious mechanism for them.

I agree with you, John.

I don´t want to receive a call from my customer telling me that he cannot close a pop-up. (Yes, it could happen).

I use to include a big "X" in the pop-up as a close button.

We must remember that pop-ups are new from FM13, so old FM users don´t know anything about them.

• 8. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                        Mike Duncan

It may not always be appropriate to put a close button on every popover button. I would say it depends on the situation, but it's easy enough to show one. It's probably edge cases where you would not want to show one, but you have the option.

For example, you could have a situation where you want the user to do something in the popover before closing it, so you may not want to show a button there. In those cases, you can use script triggers to prevent the user from existing the popover until conditions you specify are met.

Also for what it's worht, you can also dismiss a popover with the escape key on your keyboard, in FM Pro.

• 9. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                          davehob

I definitely favour a way for the user to close the popover.  I tend to have an "OK" button and a "Cancel" button.  (I've been putting these at the bottom of the popover (the logical place when user has been working through the popover in a data entry situation), but now realise that if the popover gets truncated, the buttons get hidden, so may need to reconsider!)

Dave. 

• 10. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                            JavierDura

Dave Hobson escribió:

I tend to have an "OK" button and a "Cancel" button.

Dave,

Maybe it can be confusing: if you include "OK" and "Cancel" buttons you suggest that pressing Cancel something different will happen than if you press OK.

In other words, I would include only one button ("Close") unless you include some global fields into the pop-over for data entry and only this data will be included into the database if the user presses "OK".

• 11. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                              davehob

Sorry Javier, I should have made it clear - the OK button is basically "save and close", whereas Cancel is "close popover without saving".  If there's no data entry involved (viewing record detail etc.), then I use only one button.

Dave.

• 12. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                                JavierDura

If there's no data entry involved (viewing record detail etc.), then I use only one button.

Yes, that´s it.

• 13. Re: FM 13 UI/Pop-over Best Practices
                                  PaulTurnbull

We apparently in the minority. We have no intention of putting close buttons on popovers. Popovers are not a novel interface element and exist in many other apps and generally only have buttons if there is an action being taken on or with the information in the popover. In our current designs we're only using buttons in popovers if there action to be taken on or with the information in the popover.