7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 9:07 AM by ch0c0halic

Progressive Backups disabled - Error799

RonSmithMD

I have been inconsistently getting this error from FMS Advanced:

2014-05-14 01:10:01.051 -0400 Error799 'hostname removed' Unable to apply changes from backup log "filemac:/Macintosh HD2/FMS Progressive/Changes_FMS/Interval_63535640701420529/ReginaJusticeMD28304222_9736.fxl". Progressive backup for database "ReginaJusticeMD" is disabled. (10705)

2014-05-14 01:10:01.055 -0400 Error 808 'hostname removed' Unable to read backup log. To free disk space, manually delete "filemac:/Macintosh HD2/FMS Progressive/Removed_by_FMS/ReginaJusticeMD28304222_9736.fxl". (10709)

I'm jiggered as the cause and the inconsistencly. It seems that somehow there are a couple of files that don't get trashed properly:

ReginaJusticeMD28304222_9736.fxl

ReginaJusticeMD28304222_9741.fxl

in a folder called Removed_by_FMS.

I check the status of the progressive backup setting and it is still on, and the times on the incremental backup folders are fine. My question is then

1. Is the progressive backup really disabled or not?
      2. Are the files a problem in the first place since it seems the progressive backup proceeds normally?
      3. Has anyone else seen this error?

Thanks,

Ron Smith, MD

http://www.amerechristian.com

• 1. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
          mardikennedy

I can add a little bit of the answer.

1. In recent versions of FMS, any file that is removed from FMS is automatically, silently, copied into the Removed_by_FMS folder.

2. If you use 'versioning' eg _9736 and _9741, these will be treated as separate files and will therefore accumulate in the Removed_by_FMS folder.

It is therefore now part of my 'server housekeeping' to periodically check if there's content in the Removed_by_FMS folder that should be finally, purposefully trashed.  Nothing eg FMS needs to be stopped, you just need access to the folder (which may not be a default setting if you're in an IT-administered environment).

HTH,

Mardi

• 2. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
            RonSmithMD

Hi, Mardi.

I understand what you say and have another server configured identically. The temporary logs are correctly being deleted.

I can fathom that the logs might not be deleted correctly for some reason, but what concerns me is that the error reports that progressive backups have been disabled.

When I check, the admin panel shows it enabled.

So then I think this needs maybe a Steve Romig response. Is the error message correct that the progressive backup IS disabled and the admin interface lying to me?

Thanks, Mardi.

Ron

• 3. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
              mardikennedy

Just clarifying: this is nothing to do with "logs" - it's the files themselves that get copied.  So if it's a 1 Gb versioned file,  each 'version' gets copied into the Removed_by_FMS folder.

Re 'progressive backups' settings - yes please to a Steve Romig or Wim response :-)

• 4. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
                RonSmithMD

Please look closely at the errors in my original post that clearly say the problem is with the backup 'log' which doesn't give me confidence that it is the data file, but rather that the log of transactions is not readable and recordable into the incremental backup.

This is worrisome because it makes me concerned there could be 'holes' in the backup due to these.

Warmest regards,

Ron

• 5. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
                  mardikennedy

Hi Ron,

I read your comment,

"It seems that somehow there are a couple of files that don't get trashed properly:

ReginaJusticeMD28304222_9736.fxl

ReginaJusticeMD28304222_9741.fxl

in a folder called Removed_by_FMS."

Thus my suggestion that the log might be meaning to say that you're running out of disk space on your FMS install.  This potentially can happen fairly easily if your Removed_by_FMS folder gets clogged with a lot of files.  They do accumulate, unless you manually clear them.

HTH,

Mardi

• 6. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
                    RonSmithMD

That was my first thought, but the progressive backup is on a second hard drive with over 200 gB free!

Still it might be worth running Disk Utility to check for damage.

Ron

• 7. Re: Progressive Backups disabled - Error799
                      ch0c0halic

I think they are both partially right.

There should always be two sets of progressive backup folders/files. If one of them is corrupted and cannot be deleted then the system moves it out of the way and ‘disables’ it. So I guess you could say the Progressive Backup was disabled.

However, the Progressive Backup function wants to be running. So it creates a new backup folder to start a new Progressive Backup set of files.

Its probably more accurate to say 1/2 of the Progressive backup was disabled, and was then recreated.