9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 7:47 PM by user19752

Can't seem to get my XML to fully import

DDoughtie

I've used variations of the enclosed XSL to import all sorts of data. For some reason I can get 3 of the fields to import but the rest import nothing. I've tried every version of hierarcy that I can think of with my select statements to get the others to work but to no avail. Only the 3 that use @ for grabbing a value work. I get no errors just blank fields. I have a very similiar XML file and XSL and they work perfect. I've tried it with FMP11 and 13 (I enclosed the ones from 11 because the solution that will use it still is on 11). I've looked at it so much I thought maybe some fresh eyes would see where I'm failing.

Thanks for help from any XML angels out there.

Dan, Augusta, GA

• 1. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
          beverly

Dan, I tested and found that the CDATA enclosures are preventing the values of those elements from importing. Is there a way to receive this without the enclosures?

I tested using disable-output-escaping="yes" on one of the fields. I tried copy-of instead of value-of on another field. (no luck with these)

I thought the standalone="no" might have been the problem, as these are not dependent upon other documents. That made no difference.

I tested in FMP12, as you said you did not try that version.

You said you have similar xml & xslt that work. Do these also contain the CDATA wrappers? Can you post example of what works (xml and xslt only, no need for the db, as FM will create!)

Beverly

• 2. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
            DDoughtie

I attached a "sample_no_2" to the post. . There are CDATA enclosures but only on a one field. I was thinking it was because the way the <listing Id="'' etc /> was bracketed (the second sample has <listing> <blah> </blah></listing>). The second sample is the original data that was used by another system to generate individual files which are the ones I'm having problems with. I don't have much control over the CDATA enclosures but could strip them out before reading the file in. This file has a UID field that gets tossed and replaced with a new UID. I'm trying to match up enough of the other data fields to match the 2 UID's up. Then I can start importing using the original ID to update the data so they can be exported using the new UID and eliminating the old middleware. But that data I need to do the matchups are the ones I can't get to import.

Like I said I could open and scrub out the CDATA's before importing since I hope to only go through this process once. Any new records coming in after I get them matched up would be added and pick up a new ID controlled by this new middleware.

Thanks,

Dan

• 3. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
              beverly

OK, yes, if you can "scrub" the CDATA, then they seem to import just fine.

I didn't totally follow what you are doing, except the part about "middleware". This is what is not giving you valid XML, perhaps?

The attribute (listing UID="") is no problem for XML or XSLT accessing it. Your first example shows that they come in just fine because you specified the "@UID" (attribute named UID).

Just the CDATA was not reading correctly for Import into FileMaker. There may be other things (hidden characters) that are at play here from the "middleware".

Beverly

• 4. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
                user19752

It seems there is no 'import' problem, the data are imported with all preceding CR and appending CR and TABs.

Try changing xml as

<country><![CDATA[United States]]></country>

(tested on FM13v3/Win7)

• 5. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
                  DDoughtie

I am just now able to type a response because I've been laughing so hard. User19752 is correct. I was looking at the results of the import in spreadsheet view which was only showing the first line of the field's data. The actual text was on the second line and out of view. I guess I was using my eyes more than my brain.

Thanks for the help.

• 6. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
                    beverly

yes, that's true, but Dan has used this in his XSLT, so these returns and tabs should have been removed:

<xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

I guess the implementation by FM does not process that.

However, for future reference, the function normalize-space() does work:

<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(./mypath/to/myfield)" />

Beverly

• 7. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
                      rez190

Dan,

This is an excellent tool to use if you develop on Windows: http://www.altova.com/xmlspy.html

It enables you to verify the XSLT against the XML you are trying to import to ensure it is working correctly before importing into FileMaker.

Dave

• 8. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
                        beverly

No need for XSLT if the correct grammar is queried and returned. FMPXMLRESULT can be used for Import, Export AND Custom Web Publishing.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 9. Re: Can't seem to get my XML to fully import
                          user19752

I just learned why this not works as expected,

<xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

this removes 'text node' from the elements if the node contain only white spaces.

CDATA is not a node, so the result is

<ROW RECORDID="" MODID=""><COL><DATA>CL8000300235</DATA></COL><COL><DATA>non-dining</DATA></COL><COL><DATA>

United States

</DATA></COL><COL><DATA>

GA

There may be many good tools, but using stand alone Xalan is simple for FM XML things.