4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2014 6:03 AM by duncanbaker

Inspection form -  best practices

duncanbaker

Hey all

Before I dive head first into starting something, I wanted to reach out for different perspectives on the approaches to building an inspection form database. It will be the usual fare of some questions with 'yes/no' but also some values will be recorded. In addition, there will be multiple inspection forms in the DB - perhaps one for one piece of equipment and another form with different questions for another piece of equipment. I'd like to get started on the right track.

Anyone got time for thoughts on tables to set up, naming, relationships and workflow? Or if you have a sample file, that'd be great. I'm currently working along the lines of a Report table, a Questions table and a join table for responses but I'd love to hear other ideas.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Inspection form -  best practices
          erolst

The usual structure for these solutions runs along the lines of:

EntityToInspect --< Inspections >-- QuestionsInInspection (incl. Results) >-- Questions --< InspectionTypeQuestions >-- InspectionTypes --< EntityInspectionType >-- EntityToInspect (come full circle)

which allows you to automatically create a complete Inspection report incl. the appropriate QuestionsInInspection via script, using the Entity's related InspectionTypeQuestions as template. In Questions you could define the response type, e.g. yes/no or value to e.g. in FM13 use Conditional Hide

OTOH, depending on the complexity (or lack thereof) of your solution, the right half of this structure may be unnecessary.

duncanbaker wrote:

Or if you have a sample file, that'd be great. I'm currently working along the lines of a Report table, a Questions table and a join table for responses but I'd love to hear other ideas.

If you're interested, I have a (non-polished) database building questionnaires for Patient Registration and Visitations – which in a broader sense is the same process. Or search the forum for “Questionnaire” – this has come up a number of times, if memory serves.

• 2. Re: Inspection form -  best practices
            duncanbaker

Thank you. The non-polished questionaire file would be great to take a look at if you don't mind. I'll do those searches too - I tried before but with different terms and not much came up.

• 3. Re: Inspection form -  best practices
              erolst

As I said: unpolished and not production-ready. I've thrown in another, more recent file with less structure, but more glitz, and pertaining more directly to your business area.

You can see the basic idea of defining templates as sets of related records of an Inspection type; then using scripts to set up a new inspection event by copying the matching template as related records for the ”inspectee“.

Actually, it's not that different from the days when typewriters and photocopiers walked ruled the Earth …

HTH,

Oliver

• 4. Re: Inspection form -  best practices
                duncanbaker

That's awesome. Thanks so much. I'll review these and come back with any further questions. Much appreciated.