1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 9:49 AM by swany

Wordpress php and filemaker

alex

Dear experts, we are developing database driven websites. We are using wordpress and modify it if necessary with HtML and PHP. The standard DB for Wordpress is MySQL. We prefere to work with Filemaker. What is the best way to go. 1. Wordpress, PHP, MySQL ESS Filemaker, 2. Wordpress PHP MySQL ODBC FIlemaker, 3. Wordpress PHP API Filemaker (CWP), 4. Wordpress XML Filemaker, 5. Webdirect ????

• 1. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
          mikebeargie

The answer is specific to your needs and goals, as well as what YOU can develop.

There is a filemaker wordpress plugin out there as well. But I'm not sure that it supports working with custom tables if you setup anything outside the wordpress core DB.

If your developers are more comfortable coding PHP than FileMaker, then CWP might be your best choice.

If your developers are more comfortable coding filemaker than PHP, then ODBC or ESS for MySQL may be your best choice. Further on this point, if you only need to pull data into filemaker from MySQL and not modify it, then Import from ODBC would be a better choice than ESS.

If your developers understand XML/XSLT better than ODBC, then you might want to explore importing from an XML source, although IMHO that is harder to do with wordpress than setting up a MySQL DSN and using ODBC import.

WebDirect is not a good solution for you, as it's not designed to replace an entire website.

Ultimately the choice is yours, consider your developer's opinions on the matter.

• 2. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
            Malcolm

Dear experts, we are developing database driven websites. We are using wordpress and modify it if necessary with HtML and PHP. The standard DB for Wordpress is MySQL. We prefere to work with Filemaker. What is the best way to go.

if you choose wordpress, let wordpress express itself: use mysql. If you have something that you would like to do using Filemaker, write some PHP code, it’s easy. If you would like your filemaker cwp to match your wordpress site you can do it in any number of ways. The simplest may be to call wordpress headers and footers to wrap around your fmp data.

malcolm

• 3. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
              alex

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. What we like to do is use the theme.co X wordpress template. If we want to make changes in X we do it via the visual composer or via simple HTML, PHP. As we are use Filemaker extensively we would like to focus on FM. So via ESS orODBC connect with MySQL. Issue is that we need to know the exact structure of MySQL in order to import the right thing. We also would like to write back to MySQL and publish the data on the web. So we have questions like: if we add data via FM tables and records how do we publish these via MySQL and PHP. Coding PHP to open MySQL or is there a workaround??

• 4. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                mikebeargie

If you want to write back regularly, then the plugin may be your best (and easiest) option:

http://wordpressfilemaker.com/

Lauren Kuhlman knows a lot about integrating WP & FM, so you might want to reach out to her through her website.

If you need to write back, then ODBC import only is out of the question, you would need to use ESS at least to write back. The plugin will make things a lot easier as there are a lot of hidden status fields in the WP core for each post/page that you would need to fiddle with manually in ESS.

• 5. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                  alex

He Mike, as I would like to focus on FM instead of MySQL and gain some knowledge and experience with WP than the plugin is the way to go for me. Thanks again for your ideas which saves me a lot of time.

• 6. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                    alex

Malcom, thanks for your reply. Do you agree with the plugin option. Just import and write back to WP is what we need.

• 7. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                      BruceRobertson

Mike: do you have actual, recent experience with that site?

AFAIK it has been out of service for quite a long time.

Lauren's last tweet, for instance, was last July.

• 8. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                        mikebeargie

Nope, not recently, but I have used her plugin before.  I haven’t personally seen or heard from Lauren since around 2 years ago when she was moving from Chicago to the west coast.

I don’t do a lot of web development anymore, and there’s not a lot of demand to link WP to FM, so I really don’t pay attention to it.

• 9. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                          Malcolm

Malcom, thanks for your reply. Do you agree with the plugin option. Just import and write back to WP is what we need.

I don’t know anything about the plugin. I’ve never used it.

Creating a one to one integration between your FMP data sets and WP data sets may be difficult and we have avoided doing that. mySQL is a decent database and Wordpress is a decent UI so we don’t try to replicate it. We use FMP and Wordpress as complementary tools. We have web sites that are a jigsaw puzzle made of WP and FMP.  We do have a client asking us to make an FMP front end for Wordpress presently but we are asking a lot of questions because it doesn’t seem sensible to us.

Malcolm

• 10. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                            nick@transmedia.co.uk

Hi - I would like to do this too and would love to haer whether anyone has experience. Can the MySQL tables from a WordPress site be incorporated as ESS into the FileMaker relatinoships grapgh, just like other MySQL data sources? Or are they for some reason not accessible? Bit naive about WordPress... Thanks if anyone knows.

Nick

• 11. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                              beverly

+1 on that advice.

• WP may use EAV (Entity-Attribute-Value) methods to pack the MySQL table. This makes it less fun to play with in FMP via ESS. Also quite a bit less fun with standard SQL calls to the db.

• WP may impose strict relationships, such that trying to push from FM to MySQL would sometimes throw error dialog, because required (not null) fields/columns are not getting filled in the proper order. Whereas the WP/PHP is doing this for you.

• Unless you have the permission, your ISP/hosting provider may have you locked out of the WP/PHP/MySQL directly (although you still have the WP admin for access). That means you cannot use ESS or other SQL functions and script steps to connect with MySQL through FM. This is for security.

• It's so easy to make errors when trying to circumvent WP admin for any kind of changes. If you don't have a good back up system for MySQL and the PHP files, you can get royally hosed. So: backup, BackUp, BACKUP before attempting any WP/FM integration.

Beverly

(Web Hosting Provider in a former life)

• 12. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                                nick@transmedia.co.uk

Many thanks for this, Beverley. Well worth hearing your experience. Doesn't sound particularly promising!

And apologies for the poor typography in my post.

Nick

• 13. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                                  beverly

It's possible, just be aware!

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 14. Re: Wordpress php and filemaker
                                    timcimbura

We have considerable experience integrating WordPress websites with FileMaker. We utilize a plugin called PODs http://wordpress.org/plugins/pods/ that allows you to create tables that can be connected easily to FileMaker via ESS. Then through selective syncing we push or pull data as necessary. It's working great on several production web sites.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Tim

1 2 Previous Next