2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 2:58 PM by Stephen Huston

License Conflict with myself using FMP://

datamate

All files hosted on same FMS

"Master" file calling hosted "slave" files using FMP:// protocol gets license conflict.

I understand why this is happening, FMS thinks a second user is opening "slave" files with the same license as the assumed (same) first user that opened the "Master" file but think there should be a fix for this. It does not happen when using a remote client.

This is critical to the success of our solution.

To better understand the dynamics here is the scenario:

Customer has multiple new "slave" files to host every week or so.

To have the "Master" file utilize the data from these we would have to hard code the reference for every additonal file (16 "slave" files a month) which would be ridiculous frankly.

Solution to this was to create a "slave" file that references the master file to send information back but the "slave" file is initially called by the "Master" file via fmp://. That way when we host a new "slave" file all we have to do it add a new record with the file name to the table of "slave" file names and everything just works dynamically. The system appeared seemless until all put on the server. Note here that the remote calling is done by a robot on the server as server side can not call multiple files.

• 1. Re: License Conflict with myself using FMP://
          ch0c0halic

Always use DNS names in a file reference. It is when you mix DNS names and IP values in the file references that versions before (I think, but could be wrong as to the exact version) FMP12v3 could get confused as to who is opening the file.

• 2. Re: License Conflict with myself using FMP://
            Stephen Huston

What ch0c0halic said, but also, do not duplicate External Data References (EDR) from one file to another. You can get this kind of conflict if you already have a file with an open EDR connection to a file and then the same file funs a script or calls a TO which relies on a different EDR in that same file to the same external file. When one copy of Pro encounters two open EDRs between the same two files, it throws a license conflict.

This started to be a big problem  in FMP11, and has continued since then. FM Inc seems to have tightened up their networking protocols to catch more potential licence conflicts, and I had to clean up a bunch of redundant EDRs in a 60+ legacy file system I had inherited. No one had ever cleaned up the relationship graphs created during conversion for pre-7 versions, and scripts had been added calling other files by adding a new EDR during the writing of each new script!

I was seeing pseudo-licence-conflicts daily when first moving to 11 until I figured out that those legacy External Data References were culprits.