1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 6:34 PM by mrosenhek

Hiding Tab in FIND Mod

mrosenhek

Hi everyone:

Is there a simple method to hide a tab in find mode?

I want to only hide ONE of the tabs in a tabbed interface, NOT the whole tabbed interface.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
          ErikWegweiser

Hi. I haven't found a way to hide a tab, but you can come close. You might try 1) making the tab label a calculation that becomes null in Find Mode and 2) 'hiding' all object on that tab using a calculation (be sure to check the 'find mode' check box).

• 2. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
            Malcolm

I want to only hide ONE of the tabs in a tabbed interface, NOT the whole tabbed interface.

You may find it easier to display another object in find mode, that overlays the tab button, making it inaccessible.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
              mrosenhek

Hi Malcolm

I replied already to your respoinse but can't see it here. Oh well, here I go again.

I also thought of that but was hoping for a way to disable the tab from appearing at all in Find mode since it contains objects not applicable in Find mode.

I may just remove the tab and have a command to invoke a small window displaying all the objects that I only want displayed in Browse mode.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                mrosenhek

Yep, I thought of that as well but want to keep it simpler.

As for the objects within the tab, yes, I can change their behaviour to NOT display in Find mode  using the a function but refer to not see the tab at all in Find mode.

I will likley go with a different approach; have a command to open a small window displaying the objects while in Browse mode.

So many cool and easy options availabe in FM 13.

Thank you for your response.

• 5. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                  DavidJondreau

You could also have a OnTab Switch trigger that prevents the tab from loading in Find mode.

• 6. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                    rgordon

Duplicate your tab panel.  Remove the one tab from the duplicate.  Set the orignal panel to be invisible in find mode and set the duplicate to be invisible in browse mode.  Then stack the panels on top of each other.

• 7. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                      mrosenhek

Now THAT sounds interesting. I might well try it. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                        mrosenhek

It is working

• 9. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                          Malcolm

If you plan to do duplicate objects to create a browse and a find version it may be simplest to duplicate the entire layout. Use script triggers to switch between them. A colour-coded background ensures that the user knows that they are in the find layout. This has the advantage that you can optimise every object for find oriented behaviours.

• 10. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                            mrosenhek

HI Malcolm:

Actualy, I have done similar things in the past but I'm tryinig to build a new template minimizing the number of layouts. Just keeping it as simple as possible. When I used a find and browse layout (and still do suppot it in many files from the the past that are still  being used), I had to change both everytime a change was asked for, such as new fields, change the tab order etc etc.

I'm hoping that FM will release a version at some point that will allow us to globally change objects throughout the database. That would be great. Imagine having 20 layouts and then then 6 months down th road the client wants a colour or some other format change. Instead  of visiting each layout, just make changes as variables. I've done some similar things in the past but it was cumbersome and involved lots of calcuation and scripts.

I'm forever on the quest for simplicity, and avoiding complexity if at all possible.

Cheers

• 11. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                              DavidJondreau

For any Form layout, I create a hidden tab panel. One tab is named "tab.Browse", another is "tab.Find". The actual labels a blank and there's no border, so the panels cannot be selected by the user. An onModeEntry script trigger uses Go to Object[] selects the correct panel for the mode. One layout, two very different looks. The Find panel is colored differently and has only the fields the user may find on. No portals (only the related fields), text areas become text boxes, etc etc.

I would recommend against a tabbed interface in Find mode. It's confusing for users.

• 12. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                                mrosenhek

Hmmm, also a creative and simple solution. Thank you.

-Moe

• 13. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                                  Malcolm

I'm hoping that FM will release a version at some point that will allow us to globally change objects throughout the database. That would be great. Imagine having 20 layouts and then then 6 months down th road the client wants a colour or some other format change. Instead  of visiting each layout, just make changes as variables. I've done some similar things in the past but it was cumbersome and involved lots of calcuation and scripts.

like we could with HyperCard in the 90s?

malcolm

• 14. Re: Hiding Tab in FIND Mod
                                    mrosenhek

Touché!

LOL.

1 2 Previous Next