4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 9:22 PM by msbertrand

FM12 compability

msbertrand

I just found out FM 12 may not be compatible with FM 13... Opening a file developed with FM 12 using FM 13 may cause issue. Can someone advise please, this main FM 12 is not compatible with FM 13.

Tks M

• 1. Re: FM12 compability
          wimdecorte

What have you read / heard?

All FM12 files are compatible with FM13.  There have been some reported issues going the other way: developing in 13 and opening the file in 12.  The reported issues are mostly around slow opening of the files.

• 2. Re: FM12 compability
            mikebeargie

You can continue that discussion in your other thread.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/76315?tstart=0

Wim, he has a mixed user environment, FMS12 with users on FMP/FMPA/Go13.

M - as wim noted, FM13 is fully compatible with files developed in 12. It's files that are constantly under development in a mixed environment that can cause an issue, especially when developing in the newer version before hosting/accessing/developing in the old version.

• 3. Re: FM12 compability
              steveromig

Mike Beargie wrote:

You can continue that discussion in your other thread.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/76315?tstart=0

Wim, he has a mixed user environment, FMS12 with users on FMP/FMPA/Go13.

M - as wim noted, FM13 is fully compatible with files developed in 12. It's files that are constantly under development in a mixed environment that can cause an issue, especially when developing in the newer version before hosting/accessing/developing in the old version.

M -

As Wim and Mike mentioned, there really is not an issue between v12 and v13, but it is not best practice to develop in v13 and use v12 clients.

As you might expect, this is not an old problem as similar best practices were encouraged with the .fp7 file format (FileMaker Pro 7 through FileMaker Pro 11).  For the most part these versions co-existed for years without problems.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM12 compability
                msbertrand

Hi Steve,

That is what I do normally, and the file (part of a 21 files deployment) has not been touched for a long time.  This issue appeared suddenly, and more confusing is that only one user had the issue.  I tested in Windows, Mac and FM go, no issue than once I looked for background using FM 13 the issue became global.  Yet it is strange because I am sure to not have touch this file for a long time, but I could be wrong and may have used FM13 by mistake. 

Reloading a cloned file with imported data resolved my issue, and good to go now.

Tks for the help

Regards,

MSB