5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 9:36 PM by rrenfrow

SMTP Email Quit Working on Everything but the server

rrenfrow

I have a couple of solutions that have been around for years and happily letting users send smtp emails via scripts from their computers using FMP client logged into FMS. We upgraded to FMS 12 and FMP 12 client and now things fell into the ditch. Web users can send emails via script when the web user initiates the script ON THE SERVER. Users with FMP client get the message "Emails cannot be sent" or something close to that. EXCEPT, and here's the weird part, I can log into FMP client while ON THE SERVER and the emails send successfully from FMP client.

In other words, web users who register do receive their confirmation emails. Using FMP client while ON the server, SMTP emails send just fine. But office staff cannot send SMTP emails from FMP client using their computers like we have since, I dunno, about FMP several version back? They can send emails via client, but setting that up is a hassle.

What's up with that? Any ideas?

FMS12 running on a MacBook; latest version of OS and FMS; users with FMP 12 and some with FMPA 12 current version or almost on Windows and Macs

Thanks for any help!

Raylene

• 1. Re: SMTP Email Quit Working on Everything but the server
          DLarsen

Is all this emailing happening on an internal network (employees emailing other employees) only or are these emails getting sent to people outside of your company?

Sounds to me like whatever server is relaying the SMTP is blocking FM clients but allowing the FM Server through.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SMTP Email Quit Working on Everything but the server
            malachydevlin

Yes this sounds like an "internal" LAN security issue. The users on the network are not allowed to connect to outbound SMTP servers, the reason it works for you via R Desktop is because you are logged in as an administrator & thenpiggypack to the machine (which will still use administrator access).

If you go to a machine and login as an administrator I bet that client would send.

So maybe an IT person has locked down users from outbound smtp, maybe to stop them using their phones or something.

Either way its probably not a filemaker problem. I wonder is there an internal mail server (e.g exchange) if so then you could make the SMTP server in the script "internal smtp server / or server IP".

Hopefully this helps..

Mal.

ps using client mode will use their mail package (which will probably point to a mail server like exchange - so then this will send as they are allowed to).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SMTP Email Quit Working on Everything but the server
              rrenfrow

DLarsen and malachydevlin,

I am SO glad you said this!  This is EXACTLY what I told the Systems Engineer and he didn't think it could be that.  Now I have it in much better words from both you and malachydevlin.  You know, a prophet from another land.

I am going to attach on this front again!  Thank you both!

Raylene

• 4. Re: SMTP Email Quit Working on Everything but the server
                rrenfrow

I have talked to the System Engineer and we are going to run a test and see if things work.  If so, we will administer the same "fix" elsewhere.  I will let you know what worked.

Thank you so much,

Raylene

• 5. Re: SMTP Email Quit Working on Everything but the server
                  rrenfrow

Both replies I received were correct!  With adjustments to network SMTP access privileges for the user computers, SMTP email from the user computers with FMP client is working well!

Thanks so much for your help!

Raylene