8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 5:40 PM by mardikennedy

Server External Storage Locations and Transportability

JimBrear

My filemaker Server stopped working this morning. I have a backup regine that copies the contents of the server backups to a usb drive each evening and happily I have all data as at 11pm last night.

I have placed a copy of last night's backup on my local machine and the databases are working fine.

In one of my Files I use open external storage to keep resource documents, and this failure was an opportunity to see how well the exterally stored documents "travelled" in this situation.

In short they didn't. Each record in the table shows that the original document is missing.

If I look at the copied folder, the appropriate folders are there in the same relative position as they were on the server.All the documents are in the appropriate folder.

The text dispay for a typical entry looks like:

remote:fmp10_citrix_guide.pdf

PDF :Collateral/Source Item/fmp10_citrix_guide.pdf

I am assuming the remote: is a pointer to the file location and that has changed (although not relatively to the database).

Can anyone shed some light on what might be best practice in this type of situation. Or whether the original setup on the server may not be as robust as needed.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Jim Brear

• 1. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
          BowdenData

Jim,

This just came up the other day. See the discussion thread below to see if it helps. Your scenario is not identical, but the tips there should get you going.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/147097

• 2. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
            JimBrear

Thanks for thae reply.  Will be very usefull if I have to replace the hard drives in the server. 

I used copy and paste from the backup files on the usb Hard drive.  If this is not correct procedure I will need to rethinking  my backup procedures regarding external container data.

My fear is copying the data from the usb drive to a rebuilt server will result in the container items remaining missing.

I am wondering if the pointers to the real files that filemaker keeps survive the the backup from server to usb drive.  The fact I can open the files in the external storage folder indicates it does.

• 3. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
              wimdecorte

The remote container folder structure when the file is hosted vs. when the file is local is slightly different.  If you want to work with the file while it is offline then you need to move the RC folders.  But then you'll have to remember to move them back when you put the file back on the server.

The easiest way to see where to put the RC folder locally is to create a new record and insert something in the container, then go look where FM saved it.  You'll see the difference with where the container data was saved while hosted.

• 4. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
                Mike_Mitchell

Jim -

I recently had this issue with a system (file pointers broken). FileMaker doesn't seem to like any sort of tinkering with the external file structure. The external files are still there and intact; the pointers just seem to get munged up. To fix it, I wrote a script in the affected file that grabs the file pointer information and reinserts the container data into the field. Looks like the attached. Maybe that will help. (Two scripts; Found Set calls Current Record.)

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
                  JimBrear

Thanks Wim that answers my question. FMS adds 2 additional folders to the directory structure. In my case the server structure looks like:

Actual file/RC_Data_FMS/Name of the File/Files/Name of File/Name of Table/name of container Field/Container Items

The locally hosted file uses the following structure

Actual file/Files/Name of File/Name of Table/name of container Field/Container Items 

As you suggested I created a new record and looked at where the container item was stored.  Copying the existing items into the newly created folder allow Filemaker to relink to the files.

This experience has expanded my knowledge of how Filemaker handles this.

• 6. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
                    JimBrear

Thanks for that. Mike   It will be interesting to see what happens once I get the server back up.

I find it a worry that Filemaker can lose the links to the external files.  Had you been tinkering or did it just happen out of the blue?

The files will be a useful resource if things do not go as hoped.

• 7. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
                      Mike_Mitchell

I was tinkering, attempting to do a data migration.

Wim’s information might have fixed my problem, too.

• 8. Re: Server External Storage Locations and Transportability
                        mardikennedy

FMS 12.04, VM Win 2008, Java 7/21; FMPA/ FMP Win8, Java 6/35

Problem: We've started getting the following error message:  Invalid CEN header (bad signature), prior to a failed download via the Admin Tool, of a solution with RC (Open).

Background:  Since backups with RC (Open) have broken links unless you fiddle with the path (so good to know how to do this, thank you!), we use the Admin Tool monthly to download a copy of the solution, because this process does retain the links.  (This is totally separate to the normal, four times a day, FMS scheduled backups.)  We started this periodic housekeeping because we didn't know the 'editing the path' trick.

All was good in July; by August, the error message.  We'd like to know why, so this is in the 'non-urgent exploration' categoryHas anyone else had a similar experience?

Extra info:  the solution's RC data is approx 4.5 Gb.  The rest of the solution is around 270 Mb.  At this stage, there would be around 2,215 pdfs stored, interactively.

All the best,

Mardi