3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 7:37 AM by mikebeargie

WebDirect Point To Different URL From Within App

jasongodoy

Hello all,

I'm not sure this is possible, but has anyone found a way to navigate away to a different URL from the current WebDirect page, but using the current browser tab/window. OpenURL opens a completely new browser window, which is not what I'm looking to do.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: WebDirect Point To Different URL From Within App
          mikebeargie

There is no way to control the default action of the Open URL Script Step.

Alternatively, you can make a full width/height web viewer with the loaded page, but you will still be inside of webdirect.

I have been playing around with "handler" PHP scripts as a method to open a URL that will proceed to a designated page for Exit Application. My need for this is a graceful application exit to a page different from the standard WD homepage. Unfortunately I have not had time to fully develop this yet to a point where it can be released to the community. I am hoping to have some usable code ready in time for devcon.

• 2. Re: WebDirect Point To Different URL From Within App
            jasongodoy

Thanks for your input Mike. 

I'm surpised FMI omitted a simple feature like this.  I don't see any security issues with allowing hyperlinking to a different URL.  Hyperlinking is the essense of being on the "Web".   I agree with you and I too would like a graceful way to exit my application.  The "homeurl" introduced in 13.0v2 is better than nothing, but it mucks up the URL to no reason, and just isn't graceful, especially where in my testing, using the Exit Application script step, WebDirect for a second or two shows the red "Communicaton Problem" message, before going to the homeurl.  Hopefully this will get refined.

• 3. Re: WebDirect Point To Different URL From Within App
              mikebeargie

In essence, Open URL needs to be in a separate tab, as opening it in the same tab would execute the “exit application” action first, and the command would be lost.

Think of it as installing an OnTimer script on the desktop, then force exiting the application before the script had run.

I’m very sure that FM is already working on refining and improving WD. They invested heavily to bring v1 of it to market, so it makes sense we will see improvements with future updates.