5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 6:40 AM by taylorsharpe

Sending Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11

kenleeltk

Halo Everbody

I am planing to send Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11. The following text is the format that i want to send

Content:

Dear XXX

You are reminded that the books that you borrow since 07/05/2014

Date borrowBook NameExpected return date
      XX/XX/XXXXXXXXXX/XX/XXXX
      XX/XX/XXXXXXXXXXXX/XX/XXXX
      XX/XX/XXXXXXXXXXXXX/XX/XXXX

We would appreciate if you could the books at your earliest convenience. Please contact the library (XXX@XXX.XXX) if assistance is needed.

With regards,

XXXXX

Email: XXX@XXX.XXX

If i want to use 360 works to create this email and using microsoft outlook to send the email out. Is it possible to do so?

This is an urgent requirement from my manager.

I want to look for a possible solution for this problem

Thank you very much

• 1. Re: Sending Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11
          taylorsharpe

Well, you are using some old FileMaker software, but it should be able to work.  360Works is a software company and one of their plugins for FileMaker is called Email 2.  Is this the plugin you are trying to use to send HTML email?  If so, what version are you using?  Is it installed on your FileMaker Pro application?  FileMaker will natively send emails, but not HTML email.  There are a number of plugins that will send HTML email including Email 2.  But you'll need to check the versions of the plugin and make sure they work with FileMaker 11. 

While Email 2 and many others will send HTML email, do you know how to create HTML email?  Assuming you know HTML for email, then all you need to do is install the Email plugin and use the functions in the calculation engine to generate the email. 

You said you want to send this email out using Microsoft Outlook, which is an email application.  You can have the emails sent to the local email application if you have a reason to such as wanting to review the emails before they go out.  Alternatively, you can have FileMaker send the email directly to an SMTP server and completely bypass any applications like Outlook.  That is much faster and more efficient assuming you don't need to look at each email before it goes. 

• 2. Re: Sending Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11
            kenleeltk

To Taylor:

Thank you for reply first

Q:Is this the plugin you are trying to use to send HTML email?  If so, what version are you using?  Is it installed on your FileMaker Pro application?

A:Currently i am using email2 demo, and it is installed to my FMP application

I know that filemaker can send email, but the end user want to send the email with using HTML style(like using a table to create a list or using another font type to send the email) rathre than plain text.

Q: While Email 2 and many others will send HTML email, do you know how to create HTML email?

A: Yes, I don't know how to create HTML email. but I have been using the filemaker file that the demo contain, i can't send HTML email. Can you show me or provide some information on how the create HTML email?

Because this is my first time to create HTML email.

• 3. Re: Sending Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11
              taylorsharpe

HTML email is a whittled down version of web HTML.  Much of HTML works, but lots does not.  And it is much more inconsistent behavior between the mail applications reading it than the difference web browsers reading the same web page.  So, first lesson is to keep the HTML simple and minimal or your may have questionable results in different mail client applications. 

If you don't know HTML, that will be a bit of a learning curve for you in that is like learning the FileMaker scripting language.  It is not necessarily hard, but there is a bit to learn. 

There are a lot of places on the web to learn html email and one is:  http://www.addme.com/newsletters/issue293.htm   Most of this is a lot easier if you have an HTML editor to be the visual front end so it is not all coding.  But there is a lot of benefit to understanding the coding. 

Maybe some other people will have some other suggested sources for learning html for email. 

• 4. Re: Sending Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11
                kenleeltk

I have been read you link.

But i want to perform this action (send HTML email) by using 360 works

Is it possible to do so?

• 5. Re: Sending Email With HTML format by using 360works in FMP11
                  taylorsharpe

Yes, the 360Works Email 2 plugin will work, but you need to know HTML or have someone format the HTML for you.  Do you have a web designer at your company?  They will know.