3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 7:04 PM by hjvanes

Case Sensitive field matching two fields

hjvanes

Dear FM PPL,

I have tried to get this to work but no luck and hence hope there is some person that can point out how to get the case sensitivty to work.

Situation.

I have a calculation field in place to calculates a serial alpha numeric number combination with hypens included.

I have another field entered by the user for a valid serial number

My script looks to match off serial number entered with caluclation field.

Currently regardless of case sentive mistakes made by the serial number entered it will stillaccept it as a match off when in fact the cases are different.

I have tried, as read up on, to set the calculation field to unicode as well as the text field to indexing all and unicode. But unicode match off does not work.

Is there something I may have missed to ensure that cases do match be it uppercase or lowercase?

Thank you inadvance and I do appreciate any ideas given.

regards,

HJ

• 1. Re: Case Sensitive field matching two fields
          stefan_s

Hi HJ,

Set the index language to Unicode and you will get case sensitivity.

When comparing values you can use the Exact() function.

HTH

Stefan - on the road again

hjvanes <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 5.6.2014 kello 11.56:

created by hjvanes in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

Dear FM PPL,

I have tried to get this  to work but no luck and hence hope there is some person that can point out how to get the case sensitivty to work.

Situation.

I have a calculation field in place to calculates a serial alpha numeric number combination with hypens included.

I have another field entered by the user for a valid serial number

My script looks to match off serial number entered with caluclation field.

Currently regardless of case sentive mistakes made by the serial number entered it will stillaccept it as a match off when in fact the cases are different.

I have tried, as read up on, to set the calculation field to unicode as well as the text field to indexing all and unicode.  But unicode match off does not work.

Is there something I may have missed to ensure that cases do match be it uppercase or lowercase?

Thank you inadvance and I do appreciate any ideas given.

regards,

HJ

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Advanced Discussion by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2014 • San Antonio, Texas • July 28-31 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 2. Re: Case Sensitive field matching two fields
            erolst

hjvanes wrote:

[…]

The first statement sounds as if you want to consider case as equality criterion; the second statement sounds like the opposite …

At any rate, look at Exact() and Lower() (or Upper()); the first to check on exact case, the second to bring both strings to the same case:

Exact ( "ABC-DEF" ; "ABC-DEF" ) = True

Exact ( "aBC-DeF" ; "AbC-DEf" ) = False

Exact ( Lower ( "aBC-DeF" ) ; Lower ( "AbC-DEf" ) ) = True

• 3. Re: Case Sensitive field matching two fields
              hjvanes

Thanks guys and appreciate it.  Forgot all about the eact function and havent used it for so long.  Fixed it and works like a charm.

Really thank you.

HJ