5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2014 12:48 PM by Stephen Huston

host on FM Pro 12 , using FM Pro 13 to connect ?

petery009

Hi all

I wonder if i host a file in FM Pro 12 (peer to peer), and using FM Pro 12 and FM Pro 13 to remote connect , how many concurrent user i have (9 or 5)?

and is there any issue with this ?

Reason is they already have 12, now want to get more license, i don't know which version is better to give them. they use peer to peer.

Thanks,

peter

• 1. Re: host on FM Pro 12 , using FM Pro 13 to connect ?
          steveromig

petery009 wrote:

Hi all

I wonder if i host a file in FM Pro 12 (peer to peer), and using FM Pro 12 and FM Pro 13 to remote connect , how many concurrent user i have (9 or 5)?

and is there any issue with this ?

Reason is they already have 12, now want to get more license, i don't know which version is better to give them. they use peer to peer.

Thanks,

peter

Peter -

Using FileMaker Pro 12 has a host DOES NOT use the concurrent connection model.  Only FileMaker Go and FileMaker WebDirect clients connecting to a FileMaker Server 13 host would need concurrent connections.

FileMaker Pro 12 in this scenario would allow up to 9 guests to connect to the file - be it another Pro client or a FileMaker Go client.

See here for more information on concurrent connections.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13102

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: host on FM Pro 12 , using FM Pro 13 to connect ?
            BruceHerbach

Hi,

In peer ro peer sharing the number of users is dependant on the system doing the sharing,  so in this case FM Pro 12  you will have 9. 

That stated,  if they are using FM pro 12 then you need to set the database up so that it doesn't use any FM Pro 13 functions.  Things like the new themes can get you in trouble as easily as any of the other new features.  FM Pro 13 will run the FM 12 database with out an issue.  I recommend not doing any development in 13 if users are still using 12.

That stated,  consider using an FMS server.  I know there is more cost,  but you have regular backups and all of the other data protection that goes with server.

An inexpensive method of doing this can be to use a FileMaker hosting company.  Some are as little a $19.95 a month.  For 9 concurrent users the monthly cost is higher and is dependant on the vendor.

A couple of vendors to consider:

Triple 8: http://www.triple8.net/filemaker/filemaker-hosting.cfm

Point in Space : http://www.pointinspace.com/

ODITect: http://www.oditech.com/filemaker-hosting/

HTH

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: host on FM Pro 12 , using FM Pro 13 to connect ?
              Mike_Mitchell

+1 on FMS. Peer-to-peer is risky both in terms of stability and security. I would only do it if absolutely necessary.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: host on FM Pro 12 , using FM Pro 13 to connect ?
                Stephen Huston

+1 on FMS here as well. I was brought in by a new client a few years back to fix a system which they said "keeps losing data!" It turned out that their peer-to-peer hosting was the cause of periodic interruptions which caused data to be lost, and could have led to corruption if allowed to continue.

We moved them to FM Server and never again had the data-loss problems which had plagued them for years. They had avoided Server because, as a small non-profit, they just hand't understood why paying for Server instead of 1 more copy of Pro mattered.

It was only after they found out that peer-to-peer had inherent risks to their data that they bit the bullet, which solved numerous problems for them.

• 5. Re: host on FM Pro 12 , using FM Pro 13 to connect ?
                  Stephen Huston

Another thought about the relative costs of a small business running FM Server and Pro:

With 13, you can now host on Server 13 and use WebDirect for most data-entry work, ending the need for as many licenses of Pro. In fact, any office with only one person responsible for FM development could probably get along with this setup:

• 1 copy of FM Server with concurrent licensing adequate for the rest of the staff to use WebDirect other than...
                  • 1 copy of FM ProAdvanced for the developer (using more scripts which are set to Perform on Server)
                  • 1 copy of FM Pro to use as a robo-client (for Pro tasks which need to be handled off-server)

That's likely to be a lot less than putting in Pro licenses for everyone.