1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2014 10:49 AM by Stephen Huston

Gift Card Inventory

shane0801

Before I ask my questoin let me explain how the gift card process works. Corporate office orders the gift cards and keeps the main inventory there. From there the cards can leave two different ways, either by activating the cards selling them to a customer or transfering them out to the stores not activated when their inventory runs low. Then the store can activate them for the amount the customer wants.

I am currently working on creating a new database to handle the card inventory and am not sure if I should seperate the customer orders and store transfers into two tables. The data for each does not really change to much besides for the card denomination and a sligthly different form layout. My original thought was to treat the stores just like a customer. So the store information would be in the customer table and the transfer would be treated as an invoice in the invoice table. I would then create a field that would track what type of invoice it is, either a customer invoice or store transfer. But part of me was thinks it would be more efficient for reporting purposes to seperate the stores into their own table and the transfers into their own table. If you were creating the database would you keep customers invoices and store transfers together in the same table or would you seperate the two?

• 1. Re: Gift Card Inventory
          Stephen Huston

I would base my decision on whether or not the data about both is essentially the same:

• If it is the same, except for attributes, things which can be entered as field content (attributes), keep in one table.
          • If you need to actually track different types of data about them, then probably separate tables.

Keep in mind that a simple radio-button field can be used to differentiate Customer / Store, and that info can be used for reporting them separately. But,

If you ever want to report on them all together, it will be simpler to keep them in one table.