2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 7:24 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Opening PDF on Go using Open URL

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. I'm trying to do something that should be dirt-simple, and tripping up.

Task: Create a PDF report and open it on iOS using Open URL.

Strategy: Use the following script steps:

Set Variable [ $path = Get ( DocumentsPath ) & {desired file name} & ".pdf" ]

Save Records As PDF [ $path ]

Open URL [ "file://" & $path ]

Result: White screen with "Failed to open {filename}.pdf"

I've tried using "file:/" instead of "file://"; just using the documents path; and nothing seems to work properly. The filename has no spaces or odd characters (just alphanumerics and underscores). The file is being created in the FileMaker Go directory; I can see it and open it after the operation is complete. Just won't open properly via the script.

I know this is very basic and I'm doing something stupid. Can someone point out the error?

TIA

Mike

• 1. Re: Opening PDF on Go using Open URL
          skywillmott

Hi Mike,

Would the following work for you:

Set Variable [ $path = Get ( DocumentsPath ) & {desired file name} & ".pdf" ]

Save Records As PDF [ Restore; No dialog; "$path"; Automatically open; Records being browsed ]

It's the 'Automatically open' part that does the trick :-)

You could also use Get ( TemporaryPath ) in the $path variable to not have it save into the visible file direcotry of FileMaker Go...

cheers,

Sky.

• 2. Re: Opening PDF on Go using Open URL
            Mike_Mitchell

Indeed it does. Duh.

Which makes me think the Open URL is failing because of a timing problem (race condition). The PDF isn't finished writing before the Open URL fires off.

Thanks for the help.