2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 11:37 AM by Stephen Huston

Saving a report as a snapshot in time

herbiemash

I have a master calendar of sorts in my database that tracks users attendance. I need to create a weekly snapshot of this as a report. Is there a way I would be able to do this as a report that would preserve the information from the time of creation even though the calendar would of been updated.

• 1. Re: Saving a report as a snapshot in time
          Mike_Mitchell

Sure, plenty of ways.

1) You can save the report as a PDF and dump it to a specified directory with a date / time stamp as part of the file name.

2) You can create the report as an HTML document and store it in a record as text data.

3) You can create a separate table in which you store all the relevant data in appropriate fields, and generate the report from there.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Saving a report as a snapshot in time
            Stephen Huston

Re Mike's option 3, if you need to keep everything internal to FileMaker: setup a change log table, where a separate record would be entered and time-stamped for each change/creation  instance of each calendar entry. Then you can build a reporting system based on that table and date ranges to recreate a shot of the calendar as it looked at any given time.

Warning: a lot more work than actually grapping snapshots per options 1 and 2, but 3 would allow you to build historic reports for dates/times without having had to actually run the reports and save them in real time, as 1 and 2  require.