5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 7:54 AM by taylorsharpe

FileMaker and IPv6

taylorsharpe

I saw a news article today saying the IPv4 addresses have run out in USA. Granted many of them are owned by ISPs and not yet distributed, but there are officially no available new ones and it is about time to be moving on to IPv6.

So, has anyone out there set up a FileMaker Server, clients, Go, and WebDirect and tried them in a real production setting? I know FileMaker says it is compatible with IPv6, but I was just making sure there are no issues with performance, etc. I know there will be lots of issues with routers that need replaced. And I know lots of programs that use networks won't work on IPv6 (e.g., Skype). But I'm mostly interested in knowing if I get a client and they ask if FileMaker will work on IPv6, I would like to know someone has actually tried it successfully without performance or configuration problems, etc.

• 1. Re: FileMaker and IPv6
          mikebeargie

Most routers made after 2006 support IPv6 either natively or via firmware upgrades, so hardware really isn't an issue anymore.

I have deployed it before without any notable issues. We setup DNS records to point towards the LAN behind a static IPv6 address, and had no trouble connecting from the WAN. The ISP gave us a static IPv4 address as a rollback as well.

As you noted, other applications seem to suffer from IPv6 compatibility, but the FM portion of our deployment worked fine. If I recall, we let the ISP deal with the initial config of the router to work out any issues on the WAN connection, then we came in after and set up everything for FMS.

• 2. Re: FileMaker and IPv6
            taylorsharpe

I assume this was FM13.  What OS?  Did you try ODBC, CWP, WebDirect and Go with it too?  Thanks for sharing whatever you tried.  I appreciate your feedback, Mike!  Looking forward to seeing you at Devcon. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker and IPv6
              mikebeargie

it was back in FMS12. We used Go12 without issue as well, no CWP/IWP/ODBC testing.

I just recall that there were more hassles with the ISP (time warner) than there was with the FMS setup.

• 4. Re: FileMaker and IPv6
                beverly

I would think that DNS (domain name servers) would be your best friends here, IF you use domain names and not IP addresses for any call to FMServer.

Beverly

• 5. Re: FileMaker and IPv6
                  taylorsharpe

Good point, Beverly.  And I almost always do use URL's instead of IPs because when I move a server to a new IP or ISP, I don't have to do anything with the clients.  Most of my small clients that have DNS are doing it on Mac OS X Server.  I need to go confirm if there is anything I need to do with those to make sure the DNS in the Server.app works fine with IPv6 or if I need to change anything.