10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 3:44 AM by philgee

Charting, html and data transfer

philgee

Dear Filemaker Users,

I am currently working on a filemaker runtime-solution. As one integral part of this solution is a graph which is generated and updated. As runtime-solutions do not support the native Filemaker-charts I am thinking about using Chart.js and embed the generated charts with a Web-viewer.

Now my main concern is only that I need a possibility to update the charts rather fast. Technically I could export the relevant data so that the html-file could extract it and model it into a nice chart. However, I my html-skills are not (yet) so advanced that I know how to include external files in an html-file. Could somebody help me here?

• 1. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
          beverly

Some good resources:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

http://reference.sitepoint.com/html

and if you really want to be overwhelmed (as this tells you everything in all it's complexity including recent changes):

http://developers.whatwg.org/

There are very good books, as well on HTML5

Beverly

• 2. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
            taylorsharpe

Hopefully you have a whole lot of these runtime solutions because the work you will need to put in to make the HTML work is going to be significant.  That aside, runtime solutions are not networkable.  So you are going to have to export the data to a file and the HTML is going to have to be able to read the data from that exported file.  You are going to have to export the file to a location where the web service can also read it and that sounds challenging because it is doubtful the web service is going to be able to read a file saved locally on the same machine that the runtime is on.  If you can figure out how to do this, then I would recommend you hire a web developer to handle your HTML. 

One personal observation, FileMaker Inc. has not been pushing runtimes in quite a while and it seems to be quietly going away.  Look at Devcon 2014 and I don't see a single session talking about runtimes.  I suspect it will die a slow death like Instant Web Publishing and eventually be replaced with Cloud/mobile solutions completely or just gone from FileMaker software.  That is just a prediction and I have absolutely no inside information on this.  But it make sense as FileMaker gravitates away from single user solutions that are not networkable and focuses more on Cloud and mobile solutions. 

My recommendation would be for you to abandon the runtime project and work on a Cloud (Web Direct or CWP) and/or mobile (iOS) solution instead. 

• 3. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
              Mike Duncan

I haven't used Chart.js before, but have used several others to do what you're looking for. One of the more accessible ones being the ones available at rgraph.net.

It's not too hard to deconstruct the javascript you need to work with in order to show what you want to. Mostly it is a case of replacing the data from your database so it drives the chart to display.

And this can all be done with a data url showing in a web viewer, so you do NOT need to export any temporary files or anything, and it can work offline. Any external links to javascript can simply be run inline to load all the pieces you need it to.

Even if you don't have a runtime, it may be worth a look, as there are many, many more types of charts that offer interaction you wouldn't get otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 4. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                taylorsharpe

Good point, Mike.  I had not thought of populating the chart with data via the URL. 

• 5. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                  philgee

Hello taylorsharpe, Mike and Beverly,

I thank you for your suggestions and tipps. I am sure that this will help me and my project. @Mike: I tink I will definitely take a closer look at rgraph.net. The possibilities there are quite remarkable and the documentation as well as the support forum is more helpful than the Chart.js solution.

Best,

Phil

• 6. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                    philgee

Hello Mike,

i fiddled around with RGraph and it is a really nice package. However, as far as I can see the use of csv (or xml)-Sources seems only to work for online-solutions. If I try to use a locally-saved csv-file it won't work. Do I make something wrong or is there any other solution?

• 7. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                      Mike Duncan

Hi Phil,

When you say "locally saved csv file" I'm not sure what you mean, but all you really need is to use the substitute function to drop in the data from FM that you want to display. You can then display the entire thing inline with a data url in a web viewer. Does that make sense?

Mike

• 8. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                        user19752

A sample here.

make a table rGraph and text field lib[100] as grobal.

insert script src="..." files' contents into lib[1] to lib[3].

(getting data from data::sun...data::sat fields. one graph per record.)

set Web viewer as

"data:text/html,<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<title>A basic Pie charts example</title>

<script>" & rGraph::lib[1] & "</script>

<script>" & rGraph::lib[2] & "</script>

<script>" & rGraph::lib[3] & "</script>

</head>

<body>

<h1>A basic Pie charts example</h1>

<canvas id='cvs' width='400' height='300'>[No canvas support]</canvas>

<script>

$(document).ready(function ()

{

var pie = new RGraph.Pie('cvs', ["

& Substitute ( List ( data::sun; data::mon; data::tue; data::wed; data::thu; data::fir; data::sat ) ; ¶ ; "," ) &

"])

.set('exploded', [15])

.set('labels', ['sun','mon','tue','wed','thu','fri','sat'])

.draw();

})

</script>

</body>

</html>"

• 9. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                          CarlSchwarz

Leave the HTML in a field inside filemaker.

Use a webviewer and set a webaddress as

"data:text/html," & Table::HTML Chart

There's a demo that you can hack to work for yourself here: http://www.savvydata.com/blog/2010/07/filemakergo_chartingwithcss/

• 10. Re: Charting, html and data transfer
                            philgee

dear Mike, dear user19752, dear Carl

Sorry that my answer took so long, I hat a lot to do beside Filemaker. I would like to thank all of you as now I have a more than rough idea how to set up these charts.

Thank you!