4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 3:34 PM by keywords

Current table greyed out in Portal Setup (fmp13)

itsnotatoomer

Any idea why this may be the case? I'm befuddled. And, I'm a noob.

BTW, If it makes any difference, I'm putting a portal on a tabbed control. All the other tables aren't greyed out, just the "current" one, which is the one I need.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Current table greyed out in Portal Setup (fmp13)
          flybynight

Portals are for viewing related data, ie from another, related TO (Table Occurrence).

That is why the current TO is not an option in Portal Setup.

If you want to display data from the same table, you must create a duplicate TO in your relationship graph and relate them. How to relate them will depend on what you are trying to accomplish, or what data you are trying to show.

If you tell us a little more about what you are trying to do, I'm sure you'll get many helpful answers. In the meantime, be sure to check out the free FileMaker Training Series: Basics PDF or iBook to get you going.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/training/fts.html

HTH,

-Shawn

• 2. Re: Current table greyed out in Portal Setup (fmp13)
            itsnotatoomer

yes. It makes sense now. I've dumped the idea of using a portal to do what I'm trying to do. Now I just don't really know what to do.

I have a bunch of records that involve 3 related tables (employee, effortCharge, and chageAccount). effortCharge is a join table bwtn the other two. My intent is to track time spent (labor hours) on each account. I'd like to display it by Employee. Not sure the best way to go about it.

Thanks for the quick reply flybynight.

• 3. Re: Current table greyed out in Portal Setup (fmp13)
              flybynight

So, on each employee's record, you want to show a list of accounts that they spent time on? Is that time tracked in the effortCharge join table? If so, then you would want your portal to display records from effortCharge. Play with it and see what you get.

Or perhaps what you want is a report that groups by employee and then by Account to display an aggregate of all the time they have spent, assuming that there are multiple entries in the join table for each time that they work on that project?

May ways to skin the proverbial cat.

• 4. Re: Current table greyed out in Portal Setup (fmp13)
                keywords

If your portal is based on the join table and is on a layout based on employee, you should be able to display the related chargeAccount record within that same portal.